The Student Room Group

Question about dropping out of uni & what happens about loan & tuition fees?

Hey peeps!
Yes its another sad tale of girlie going to college for 2 years and using student loan incl tuition fees (and loving the course) and then going to uni (with student loan incl tuition fees) and not enjoying course at all!! ARGH!
I sooo wanted to love my course, when I spoke to uni before I applied the course sounded fab! just what I wanted. But now that I'm here the course is not what was promised and half the modules I have to do I dont even see the relevance in doing them!!:confused:
So now you know a bit of the background what I want to know is:
If I was to drop out of this course bearing in mind that I have now used up 3 years of a student loan incl tuition fees, does this mean that if I decided to start another course say next year would I only be able to get a student loan and tuition fees for only 1 year of my course and then having to pay my own way through the next few years or because it is a different course does this matter?
I'm so confused please help, any information will be greatly appreciated! :yep:
crystaltips
Hey peeps!
Yes its another sad tale of girlie going to college for 2 years and using student loan incl tuition fees (and loving the course) and then going to uni (with student loan incl tuition fees) and not enjoying course at all!! ARGH!
I sooo wanted to love my course, when I spoke to uni before I applied the course sounded fab! just what I wanted. But now that I'm here the course is not what was promised and half the modules I have to do I dont even see the relevance in doing them!!:confused:
So now you know a bit of the background what I want to know is:
If I was to drop out of this course bearing in mind that I have now used up 3 years of a student loan incl tuition fees, does this mean that if I decided to start another course say next year would I only be able to get a student loan and tuition fees for only 1 year of my course and then having to pay my own way through the next few years or because it is a different course does this matter?
I'm so confused please help, any information will be greatly appreciated! :yep:

As far as I'm aware, you can have loans for as long as you're at uni. So they wont just fund you for three, basically. If you do decide to drop out and start again next year, then yes, you should be able to get a loan to cover the rest of your time :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
psychocustard
As far as I'm aware, you can have loans for as long as you're at uni. So they wont just fund you for three, basically. If you do decide to drop out and start again next year, then yes, you should be able to get a loan to cover the rest of your time :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:

Ta Psychocustard! Just need to take a deep breath now and make the decision! even though I know its probably the right one its really difficult!
:frown:
Reply 3
This may be because I was under the old loans system, but I had to leave uni after a year because of medical reasons and then went back a couple of years later to do a different course .... when I went back, I got no help for fees and only the minimum loan for the first year because they said I'd already used up one of my years - even though I wasn't medically fit to continue!
Reply 4
Ethereal
This may be because I was under the old loans system, but I had to leave uni after a year because of medical reasons and then went back a couple of years later to do a different course .... when I went back, I got no help for fees and only the minimum loan for the first year because they said I'd already used up one of my years - even though I wasn't medically fit to continue!

:frown: That seems a bit unfair seeing as you had a really good reason for leaving in the 1st place and not like me whos dropping this course cos i'm not enjoying it! Its not like they are giving you free money you have to pay it back! hmmmm even if this is the case I suppose anything is better than being on a course you hate. :wink: thanks Ethereal
crystaltips
Ta Psychocustard! Just need to take a deep breath now and make the decision! even though I know its probably the right one its really difficult!
:frown:

Awww! :smile:
It's ok, only you know what's best, and you might as well make a difficult decision now and make the right choice so you're happier later on, rather than carry on with this now, and be miserable!
Reply 6
psychocustard
Awww! :smile:
It's ok, only you know what's best, and you might as well make a difficult decision now and make the right choice so you're happier later on, rather than carry on with this now, and be miserable!

:yep: I know, I just would hate it if people thought I was dropping out because I couldnt do it! which is so not the case. I don't normally care what others think but for some reason i do now? Thanks for the advice, wise indeed! :smile:
crystaltips
:yep: I know, I just would hate it if people thought I was dropping out because I couldnt do it! which is so not the case. I don't normally care what others think but for some reason i do now? Thanks for the advice, wise indeed! :smile:

D'aww, thanks for my pos rep! :biggrin:

:hugs:
Reply 8
As far as I'm aware you can be funded by a student loan for 4 years. However I have absolutely no idea how these things work and they always seem overly complicated.

I dropped out of my uni last month for loads of reasons, including the course not being quite what I wanted. At first I was scared of what people would think but I knew I had to do what would make me happy. But I found everyone to be really understanding which made me feel much better. Do what will make you happy!

Latest

Trending

Trending