username5814317
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Last edited by username5814317; 2 weeks ago
madzzzzina
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chenny1010)
So I took my GCSE AQA Combined Science Chemistry exam today, and on the front of the paper it said:
"For this paper, you must have: Periodic table (enclosed)"
So I checked inside the paper to see if the periodic table was in there and took it out.

An examiner walked by and said that I wasn't supposed to open the paper. I know from the examiner's perspective, it looks like I was trying to cheat by looking at the questions early, but I was really just making sure I had all the materials. A lot of examiners seemed to stand and watch me closely during that entire exam.

I felt so paranoid during the whole exam but afterwards all my friends said that I was deeping it and nothing was going to happen.

Would this be enough to get me disqualified? I plan on taking bio and chem for A-levels next year, so I'd be ****ed if I were to get disqualified from the exam board.
I don't think it's enough to get you disqualified although I believe invigilators do record everything that is happening during the exam, if there's a lot of looking around, noise making etc so perhaps you're opening of the paper must also have been recorded hence the looks and stares?

If it clearly states that the periodic table is enclosed, then it must be. You should not be opening the paper until you are told to, otherwise you'll be seen as getting an unfair 'advantage.'

It's possible for mistakes to happen when it comes to giving the papers out and enclosing any additional booklets/resources. Humans always make mistakes. In such circumstances, there are invigilators all around the hall so if you were to find that you did not have the table, you could easily get the attention of one of the invigilators and tell them you need one.

I suggest you speak to the exams officer at your school and let them know you did not intend to cheat. And next time, do not open the paper before you're meant to!

Best of luck with your other exams!!!
username5814317
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by madzzzzina)
I don't think it's enough to get you disqualified although I believe invigilators do record everything that is happening during the exam, if there's a lot of looking around, noise making etc so perhaps you're opening of the paper must also have been recorded hence the looks and stares?

If it clearly states that the periodic table is enclosed, then it must be. You should not be opening the paper until you are told to, otherwise you'll be seen as getting an unfair 'advantage.'

It's possible for mistakes to happen when it comes to giving the papers out and enclosing any additional booklets/resources. Humans always make mistakes. In such circumstances, there are invigilators all around the hall so if you were to find that you did not have the table, you could easily get the attention of one of the invigilators and tell them you need one.

I suggest you speak to the exams officer at your school and let them know you did not intend to cheat. And next time, do not open the paper before you're meant to!

Best of luck with your other exams!!!
Thanks, I've just emailed my exam officer. Hopefully it all goes well and I can continue with my exams normally
reecepitt
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So I took my GCSE AQA Combined Science Chemistry exam today, and on the front of the paper it said:
So I checked inside the paper to see if the periodic table was in there and took it out.

An examiner walked by and said that I wasn't supposed to open the paper. I know from the examiner's perspective, it looks like I was trying to cheat by looking at the questions early, but I was really just making sure I had all the materials. A lot of examiners seemed to stand and watch me closely during that entire exam.

I felt so paranoid during the whole exam but afterwards all my friends said that I was deeping it and nothing was going to happen.

Would this be enough to get me disqualified? I plan on taking bio and chem for A-levels next year, so I'd be ****ed if I were to get disqualified from the exam board.
I don't think so. One of the invigilators caught someone who opened their paper and started answering the exam. He just got a warning.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

I think you will most likely be okay if you had opened it and started writing well that might have been a problem but you didn’t it would be pretty harsh if the penalised you for that it’d be like me getting marked down for filling in the front of the exam before the time started it just wouldn’t are sense.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They would have taken some kind of statement from you and notified you if you were reported.
madzzzzina
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks, I've just emailed my exam officer. Hopefully it all goes well and I can continue with my exams normally
You're welcome!! I hope it all works out for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32.79%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.08%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.82%

Watched Threads