Which course ?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So this is kind of long winded but basically I did a levels as a private candidate because illness meant I wouldn’t be able to go into school.
I was advised that a level maths would be too hard to teach myself, despite being good at maths and getting A* in my gcse, so I did psychology, sociology and economics and got AAA. (I did gcses and a levels 6 and 4 years ago now but I didn’t go to uni straight away).
I really regret not choosing maths because I enjoyed it as a subject.
I am essentially now unsure if I should opt for a finance/accounting/ management degree, or a maths with foundation degree.
I don’t particularly want 4 years of debt and therefore am considering the former more.
I am probably similarly interested in both degree choices but have heard managment/accounting/finance degrees aren’t respected and don’t give as many opportunities. I don’t really know what career I am interested in to be honest.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice rlly
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don’t really know what career I am interested in to be honest.
You're at a fork in the road, asking for advice as which route to follow. Yet you don't know what destination you're hoping to reach. Tricky.

From what you've written you're effectively considering trading an extra year at university (and the associated debt) for the perception of a more "respected" degree and increased opportunities.

If I were you, I think I'd go down the Maths route, but as soon as I'd started the foundation year, I'd apply for Management/Finance/Accounting degrees. You haven't done Maths beyond GCSE, and that was a few years ago. If, during the foundation year, you decide that it's not for you, then hopefully you'll be have received offers for Management/Finance/Accounting and can start one of those degrees instead.

The foundation year won't been wasted, as you'll never wonder about what it might have been like to study maths at university. The foundation year will likely also be useful for some aspects of the other degrees.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So this is kind of long winded but basically I did a levels as a private candidate because illness meant I wouldn’t be able to go into school.
I was advised that a level maths would be too hard to teach myself, despite being good at maths and getting A* in my gcse, so I did psychology, sociology and economics and got AAA. (I did gcses and a levels 6 and 4 years ago now but I didn’t go to uni straight away).
I really regret not choosing maths because I enjoyed it as a subject.
I am essentially now unsure if I should opt for a finance/accounting/ management degree, or a maths with foundation degree.
I don’t particularly want 4 years of debt and therefore am considering the former more.
I am probably similarly interested in both degree choices but have heard managment/accounting/finance degrees aren’t respected and don’t give as many opportunities. I don’t really know what career I am interested in to be honest.
I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice rlly
It would be good to do some research on all of those career options and see which ones take your fancy. Have a look at the universities offering those courses, get in contact with the admissions tutors and attend open days. Figure out how you want to be taught, how you would like to be assessed, do you like the university, do you like the location, etc. Even try speaking to current students to get their perspective. If you can, get some work experience across a wide range of fields and industries. Take a look at apprenticeships and see if this takes your fancy.
Once you gain enough knowledge, hopefully then you will know which career you wish to pursue. The more information you find out the better you can make an informed decision for yourself.

Also, just because you choose an option now, it doesn't necessarily mean you will stick with this choice as you may decide to change your mind further on down the line. So, if you find that you want to do something different, you still can and you can apply those transferable skills across. The options you've chosen are interconnected and related one way or another. If you're able to speak and ask around those in the industry or lecturers, they will give you more support with this.
Be open to exploring your options to find what's best for you.

I hope this helps

Veronica
Student Ambassador
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Maths seems very different to your other choices. What attracts you to it?
isabella goldy
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Auto cad course. I will suggest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (24)
32.88%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (34)
46.58%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
19.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.37%

Watched Threads