1 exam away from finishing my MMath degree - AMA!

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As the title says
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
How did you find it?
Anonymous #1
1st year - Not too bad, very doable if you stay on top of things but semi-crammable if needed

2nd year - Quite noticeable heightening of difficulty, definitely start to feel a lot of pain leading up to exam seasons, especially if concurrently inundated with coursework.

3rd year - This year was a bit unusual for me. Because of COVID, the entirety of this year was online. Was quite difficult to adapt to, and like many others, lost motivation at points. The lecturers made good online resources though which helped massively. You’re also used to the nature of mathematics if you’ve made it this far so you kind of just get on with it and can effectively self-teach when necessary.

4th year - By far the most challenging of all years. In addition to frequent coursework throughout the year, you have a Master’s project that runs alongside it. This can be enjoyable but to some length feels like ‘an infinite deadline’. By the time I’d finished my project it was about 65 pages and I’d sunk about 300 -400 hours into it. This involved theorising, writing code, doing an extensive review of surrounding literature and trying to find my own ways to add to the literature. Soon after the diss deadline, exams typically follow which makes almost the entirety of March onwards incredibly intense. So glad to be finished soon, final exam today!
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck with your final exam!
Are you planning on going into a maths related job afterwards?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by flaurie)
Good luck with your final exam!
Are you planning on going into a maths related job afterwards?
Funny you should ask - I’m part-time lecturing undergrad mathematics (mainly year 1/2 stuff) after I finish for a bit so yes, you could say that is fairly maths-related haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed