Being into girls but parents ignore it.

Watch this thread
Studyingstudent1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically Idk what to do. I’m now 21, and at 16 I admitted to liking girls. For a while it wasn’t talked about, but neither of my parents are against it.

However, I started uni when I was 19 and whenever I came home my mum would ask about relationships (only specifically mentioning males). However I only met up with girls I was interested in.

This carried on every 6months or so, asking if I was into girls or a lesbian. I’ve stayed super honest with it.

I’m at my breaking point now though, I’ve just turned 21 and a few months ago I mentioned I went on a date with a girl. My dad has just brought it up and asked if I was into girls, which again, I said I was.

The issue isn’t them questioning per say, but continually asking making me think somethings wrong.

I haven’t been in a seriously relationship which I could understand could cause their issues. However I’ve been attracted to girls for years, to the point am I almost exclusively into women.

And tonight again it was brought up, with them questioning the ‘concept’ of being gay and I’m feeling rubbish.

I know, especially my dad (but also by mum kinda) wouldn’t have an issue with it but I can’t ‘out’ myself for like the 6th time.

If anyone has any similar issues I would love how you dealt with it xx

Thanks
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Think they’re finding it hard to accept the change so I guess just let them take their time and ignore it when it becomes too much
Shawn2006
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Studyingstudent1)
Basically Idk what to do. I’m now 21, and at 16 I admitted to liking girls. For a while it wasn’t talked about, but neither of my parents are against it.

However, I started uni when I was 19 and whenever I came home my mum would ask about relationships (only specifically mentioning males). However I only met up with girls I was interested in.

This carried on every 6months or so, asking if I was into girls or a lesbian. I’ve stayed super honest with it.

I’m at my breaking point now though, I’ve just turned 21 and a few months ago I mentioned I went on a date with a girl. My dad has just brought it up and asked if I was into girls, which again, I said I was.

The issue isn’t them questioning per say, but continually asking making me think somethings wrong.

I haven’t been in a seriously relationship which I could understand could cause their issues. However I’ve been attracted to girls for years, to the point am I almost exclusively into women.

And tonight again it was brought up, with them questioning the ‘concept’ of being gay and I’m feeling rubbish.

I know, especially my dad (but also by mum kinda) wouldn’t have an issue with it but I can’t ‘out’ myself for like the 6th time.

If anyone has any similar issues I would love how you dealt with it xx

Thanks
i'm bisexual (still in high school) but my parents are homophobic.. it's sucks.. is that what you mean by "similar issues" or did you mean something else?
Studyingstudent1
Rep:
(Original post by Shawn2006)
i'm bisexual (still in high school) but my parents are homophobic.. it's sucks.. is that what you mean by "similar issues" or did you mean something else?
By similar issues, for my personal situation, I’m focusing on expressing myself and the ability to date freely. My parents, especially my dad are into the news, so a bring up particular high profile issues that involved people from the lgbtq+ community or even non-white communities dealing with issues is common, however as much as I argue all of ur rights they don’t seem to understand.
Studyingstudent1
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
Think they’re finding it hard to accept the change so I guess just let them take their time and ignore it when it becomes too much
I would understand that completely but it’s literally been 5 years since I came out. I could understand that it maybe be just a phase in their minds (I wasn’t in a good place) but my mum ask every 6 months or so is getting to the point that it’s confusing me eventhough I’m comfortable how I am rn. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
24.53%
As I expected (15)
28.3%
Harder (22)
41.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.66%

Watched Threads