Turn on thread page Beta

8-year-old Arrested in Double-Homicide watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27600105/
    http://digg.com/odd_stuff/WTF_8_year...ouble_Homicide

(Aritlce is snipped quite a bit - it's long)

FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Police in this small eastern Arizona community are looking into the possibility that an 8-year-old boy who is charged with killing his father and another man with a rifle had been abused, the police chief said Saturday.

The boy, who faces two counts of premeditated murder, did not act on the spur of the moment, Police Chief Roy Melnick said.

"I'm not accusing anybody of anything at this point," he said Saturday. "But we're certainly going to look at the abuse part of this. He's 8 years old. He just doesn't decide one day that he's going to shoot his father and shoot his father's friend for no reason. Something led up to this."

On Friday, a judge determined there was probable cause to show that the boy fatally shot his father, Vincent Romero, 29, and Timothy Romans, 39, of San Carlos, with a .22-caliber rifle. Under Arizona law, charges can be filed against anyone 8 or older. The judge ordered a psychological evaluation of the boy.

Melnick said police had responded to calls of domestic violence at the Romero home in the past, but police were searching records Saturday to determine when those calls were placed.

Melnick said police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult, but he acknowledged it's unlikely a judge would grant that motion.

"This is a severe double homicide, premeditated, and that's the right thing to do," he said. "We're going to use every avenue of the law that's available to us, but we're also looking at the human side."
    If the boy really did do the murders I think the judge should have the option of putting him on death row to be killed after he is 18.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    This is a severe double homicide
    As opposed to a mild double homicide, I suppose.

(Original post by Wobbles)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27600105/
    http://digg.com/odd_stuff/WTF_8_year...ouble_Homicide

If the boy really did do the murders I think the judge should have the option of putting him on death row to be killed after he is 18.

Thoughts?
    That's outrageous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    That's outrageous!
    Oh yes, I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    That's outrageous!
    Why? I could name at least 2 serial killers who murdered multiple people at young ages. One of those murdered his entire family when he was 12, was let off basically, then became San Fransico's biggest serial killer.

"Melnick said police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult."

:lolwut: How is that motion even tangible?

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    He's 8 years old. He doesn't know what a vagina is.

ReputationRep:
    this is not a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    He's 8 years old. He doesn't know what a vagina is.
    Read my last reply.

ReputationRep:
    They grow up so fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    "Melnick said police are pushing to have the boy tried as an adult."

:lolwut: How is that motion even tangible?
    I never trust that Melnick; he's a notorious liar. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    But he's 8! How mature can an 8 year old be? If he were 9, for example, he might not have done it.

You cannot try him as an adult, because HE'S NOT! Punish him until he sees that what he did was wrong, but with his immaturity he canot pay the ultimate price for the crime. When eh accepts that he was totally wrong to kill anyone, give him another psychological review and if that comes out ok let him go back into the real world. If he commits again, give him life, because that would provide ample evidence that he's just not right.

ReputationRep:
    Read my last reply.
    I have done, and it's totally irrelevant.

The kid won't understand the consequences, he will have no idea of the law, any of the implications of what he's done.

They can't imprison him on the basis that he might be the next Peter Sutcliffe.

I'm the first one to shout 'lock them up and throw away the key' but this is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    The kid clearly has issues. He'll probably be kept in a secure unit for a very long period of time, as it is quite clear that it's not safe to have him in society, but he most probably won't get criminal charges brought against him due to his age.

ReputationRep:
    He should no way be put on death row

(Original post by Dr. Unk)
    I never trust that Melnick; he's a notorious liar. :shifty:
    Yeah, I reckon none of this even happened. Melnick's sittin' at home laughin' 'n' jackin' off to use buncha damfools gettin' up in hysterics over all a nothin'.

ReputationRep:
    is there no chance this was an accident?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    I have done, and it's totally irrelevant.

The kid won't understand the consequences, he will have no idea of the law, any of the implications of what he's done.

They can't imprison him on the basis that he might be the next Peter Sutcliffe.

I'm the first one to shout 'lock them up and throw away the key' but this is ridiculous.
    I'm not seeing your point. Child murderers are much more likely than others to kill again. Killing one to possibly save another is a good thing, and at worst, still a good thing since he killed 2 people. Get it?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. They're just getting younger and younger.

Soon we'll have embryos killing mothers with knives because she thought about aborting it.

(Edit: And yes I know thats suicide because the embryo will die without the mother anyway >.>, but you get the point)

ReputationRep:
    He should be stuck in a youth institution until he's 18, like most other underage offenders, and have the opportunity to demonstrate sanity and remorse if he is to be released then.

By the way, one accidental rifle shot can be construed as an accident (a la **** Cheney), but two is massacre.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.