Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob McK)
    even an american jury
    What the hell does that mean? You do realise US courts give MUCH harsher sentances to people who deserve it; whereas UK courts just give a few years for multiple murders of children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    Did I strike a chord?
    You delivered, internet style, thank you.
    You clearly didn't, he was just mocking your incomprehensible levels or stupidity.

I would do the same but he's said all that needs to be.

ReputationRep:
    The poor little lad probably had to use a .22 because he couldn't lift anything more powerful...

(Original post by Wobbles)
    If the boy really did do the murders I think the judge should have the option of putting him on death row to be killed after he is 18.

Thoughts?
    Even as a relatively ardent proponent of the death penalty, I disagree with you. He's EIGHT.

Not to mention such a measure has been unconstitutional since 1989. Google Stanford v. Kentucky.

is there no chance this was an accident?
    If the rifle was a semi-auto, there's a very faint chance it could have been accidental. If it was a bolt-action, then I think that option is totally removed. It requires FIVE separate actions to reload a bolt-action: lift the bolt up, pull it backwards, push it forwards, push it down, then finally pull the trigger. Although a trained shooter can do that in less than a second, there's no way an eight-year-old could do it accidentally - especially after already having shot one round and seeing an adult hit the deck in front of the barrel.

How many executions were there in China last year?
    470+, according to Amnesty International.

ReputationRep:
    Did I strike a chord?
    You delivered, internet style, thank you.
    E minor, that's my favourite one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeNucleophile)
    The poor little lad probably had to use a .22 because he couldn't lift anything more powerful...
    I lol'ed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Oh yes, I agree with you.
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeNucleophile)

If the rifle was a semi-auto, there's a very faint chance it could have been accidental. If it was a bolt-action, then I think that option is totally removed. It requires FIVE separate actions to reload a bolt-action: lift the bolt up, pull it backwards, push it forwards, push it down, then finally pull the trigger. Although a trained shooter can do that in less than a second, there's no way an eight-year-old could do it accidentally - especially after already having shot one round and seeing an adult hit the deck in front of the barrel.

470+, according to Amnesty International.
    Yes. The article was vague, I'm just trying to picture (not that I want to) the circumstance in which this happened.

E minor, that's my favourite one.
    Very melancholic.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell does that mean? You do realise US courts give MUCH harsher sentances to people who deserve it; whereas UK courts just give a few years for multiple murders of children?
    what the hell does it mean?!?!?!?

it means that american juries are well known for over reacting - much like you just have - and throwing the book at someone. either in a criminal matter where they send someone to death row - a huge waste of taxpayers money considering the countless appeals - or in a civil matter where they award punitive damages to a plaintiff who may or may not have injured himself using a product.
    clearer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    You clearly didn't, he was just mocking your incomprehensible levels or stupidity.

I would do the same but he's said all that needs to be.

You again?

We're cool, leave it.

ReputationRep:
    incredible quote from you, how far would you extend that principle?
    Well, it's thought that an internal conscience is developed by the age of six (by that I mean it doesn't take an external source, a parent for example, to say something is right or wrong; the person can understand the concept on their own) so that would be an appropriate age to execute for crimes. I'd be perfectly happy for a six-year-old who has murdered to be hung, shot, electrocuted, et cetera.

ReputationRep:
    what the hell does it mean?!?!?!?

it means that american juries are well known for over reacting - much like you just have - and throwing the book at someone. either in a criminal matter where they send someone to death row - a huge waste of taxpayers money considering the countless appeals - or in a civil matter where they award punitive damages to a plaintiff who may or may not have injured himself using a product.
    clearer?
    I stopped reading at the bolded part. Will be giving you neg rep tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    First, considering I have 2 books that talk about this case, both by ex-FBI agents, and they both say the same thing, I think they are more reliable than random Internet articles (he done the murders before the web even existed ffs!). And yes, I just checked one of them to confirm I had the right name.
    Okay, so in this bizarre logic, if something was done before the internet existed, you shouldn't be surprised if it's not reported ANYWHERE on ANY site, even though the internet probably contains more compiled materials and catalogued data stored about things that happened centuries ago, than any other literary source.... Odd.
    Second, I never said all abused kids should be locked up. Where on earth did you get that? You took my comment WAY out of context. Desperation, much?
    Oh okay. Please, elaborate on the point you made then: "There are so many serial killers (or even just murderers) who were abused that it would be absurd to let this kid - who is suspected of being abused - go free into society again."

because obviously I haven't grasped your meaning.

Third, if a much higher proportion of killers came from 'bad' backgrounds - i.e. abuse - than the general population, studies go out of the window. This is real life, not analyzing questionnaires ffs.
    I think in crimes where the punishment is possible death, it's important that studies do not "do out the window" and judgements are not made based on mere correlations but FACTS. Beyond reasonable doubt, anyone?

Also, calm down, nobody's fighting you. Don't sound so offended/angry. This is merely a discussion from the viewpoints of different people.

EDIT: please give me the name of this book, because this grandparent killing is ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE. Considering how many sites there are about him, that is strange, wouldn't you say?

ReputationRep:
    to call you a complete and utter cretin would be an understatment, if you're going to make ridiculous statements at least be gracious when someone points you in the right direction.
    you're an embarassing individual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I'd be perfectly happy for a six-year-old who has murdered to be hung, shot, electrocuted, et cetera.
    you'd genuinely be happy for a six year old to be executed? i appreciate your explanation and you obviously have some weight behind your argument but mate you are clearly in the minority of people in this country if not the world if you would hang a 6 year old, even for murder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy)
    Oh okay. Please, elaborate on the point you made then: "There are so many serial killers (or even just murderers) who were abused that it would be absurd to let this kid - who is suspected of being abused - go free into society again."

EDIT: please give me the name of this book
    a) Maybe you are forgetting the whole point of the thread - he KILLED TWO people.

b) Mindhunter

ReputationRep:
    I just negged you, so I believe you now have no rep power. So you can only neutral neg.

A .22 is plenty powerful for a lot of things, even killing an elk.

But this is terrible, I don't know the details of this case, but it's just sad.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would be any more humane to kill him at eighteen. That principle behind it makes no sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    you'd genuinely be happy for a six year old to be executed?
    I don't see where the moral conundrum lies. They killed and are in turn killed themselves. 'An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth'; the oldest principle of just retribution still, I think, rings true.

At the age of six, and arguably earlier, you know that killing is wrong - there isn't a culture in existence where it is thought otherwise, it's basic human nature. To say that someone shouldn't be held fully responsible for their crimes due to a young age is pure sentimentality. Hang 'em high, I say.

i appreciate your explanation and you obviously have some weight behind your argument but mate you are clearly in the minority of people in this country if not the world if you would hang a 6 year old, even for murder
    If the whole world thought that rape was morally acceptable but I disagreed would that make me wrong? No, it wouldn't, and so the point is moot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I'd be perfectly happy for a six-year-old who has murdered to be hung, shot, electrocuted, et cetera.
    !!!

And people have the audacity to say that *I'm* extreme in my support of the death penalty.

Wow. Just wow.

ReputationRep:
    What a joke. Consider yourself neg-repped as well, tool.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.