Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi...a bit of background, I'm am a Romanian citizen, born in Romania but I have lived 8 years in Canada. I recently relocated to the UK and would like to get into a sixth form college to do AS/A2 for Uni. I would like to know if I am considered an international student or normal. I mean I am a Romanian citizen which is part of the European Union which should be Okay but I have gotten mixed information on the subject. I think I saw somewhere saying that if you have not lived your last 3 years in the EU you are considered an international student. Can somebody please clarifiy this? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are one; you are not native to the country you are applying into and you have lived elsewhere for several years.

ReputationRep:
    Im not native to the country ( UK ) yes indeed but all EU citizens are NOT considered international students and I am an EU citizen. Im just wondering if I might be the exception to the rule having lived abroad for so many years. Does any one have concrete information ? like links? laws? experience, etc? please.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm pretty sure you would be considered International... but by the time you get to applying for uni, that may have changed

ReputationRep:
    If you have citizenship here, no. If not, that's a definite yes.

It's as clear-cut as that. It shouldn't be a problem getting into sixth form though. Your an EU national so you fall under that commuting learner catagory.

ReputationRep:
    Reason I am asking is because international students pay a lot even with state sixth forms..im kinda trying to keep the cost down somehow and p.s i dont think everyone who doesnt have a UK citizenship is considered international...that would just be ridiculous. I didnt have a citizenship in canada for several years and I WASNT considered international. I was considered a permanent resident.

ReputationRep:
    When were you in Canada - last 3 years or before then? Anyway, ring up a random 6th form college and ask.

ReputationRep:
    I used to deal with this sort of thing - the question we would ask is "have you lived in the uk or the eu for the past three years?" Presumably you have been in Canada so you will probably be considered international. Do you have a Romanian passport?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have a Romanian and a Canadian passport.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.