What to do??

Watch this thread
cherlloydfan1
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So iv been working as a software engineer for the past 3 weeks but I can't do the work and my work isn't good so m thinking of resigning. I did a degree in computer science but I still don't feel like I know enough to do a job in it. So I wanna do another degree at a different university but my dad's saying no and that I have to work and give him money. So I don't know what to do now cos I can't do the jobs that I wanna do but I don't wanna do a menial job forever either. So what should I do??
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you enjoy your Computer Science degree? Did it go well, grade-wise?

You can't really expect to be a fully proficient Software Engineer after having only done it for three weeks (despite the degree). You say, "I still don't feel like I know enough to do a job in it". Guess how you learn? By doing the job, not by turning tail and running for the hills. (And you won't be doing "a menial job" forever. You're new - they're bound to give you all the tasks they don't want to do themselves. Before long, there'll be someone newer than you, and you won't be standing on the lowest rung of the ladder any more.)

Has your employer given you any feedback on your work? Or is this inability to do the job self-diagnosed? Are the team there supportive, or are they quick to point out what you don't know and slow to teach? (The team dynamic can have a massive impact here.)

Most employers place new employees on probation for about three months whilst they decide whether or not they're a good fit. You should do likewise.

If you're really not happy after three months, perhaps see if you can move into Tech Support (or similar) within the same company. That way, you're not throwing away all the knowledge you gained whilst at university.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cherlloydfan1)
So iv been working as a software engineer for the past 3 weeks but I can't do the work and my work isn't good so m thinking of resigning. I did a degree in computer science but I still don't feel like I know enough to do a job in it. So I wanna do another degree at a different university but my dad's saying no and that I have to work and give him money. So I don't know what to do now cos I can't do the jobs that I wanna do but I don't wanna do a menial job forever either. So what should I do??
Is this your first job after graduation? It's common, and even expected, that straight after university you won't be at a level where you immediately hit the floor running. Sometimes, depending on the role, it can take a few years even to fully get to grips with the requirements of the job.

The software market is absolutely blazing hot. I don't see why you'd want to go back to university to do another degree when you've already got one of the most in-demand degrees out there.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cherlloydfan1)
Give it some more time. If you still don't like it, then do a lateral move to something else that's tech-related.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads