Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in need of some serious advice here

Basically I applied to do physics at uni but I doubt I'll enjoy it at university. I don't know - the A level is pretty awful but has some interesting topics so there might be some hope left.

Anyway here's the deal - I need to become a cameraman for nature programmes (autumnwatch, planet earth etc.), don't ask me why, and am guessing a degree in a subject like zoology would be more appropriate. The problem is the degree doesn't sound as employable as a more mathematical degree like physics and I worry that if I don't make it big as a cameraman I'll just have an equally boring job with a lower pay.

Any advice on what I should do? I've already received offers for physics and I'm deciding whether it would be best to take a gap year and reapply for a biological science or perhaps take physics for a year and see whether I like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if you've considered film production at all?

You don't need the expertise knowledge of the animals to film them; but if that's the route you want to go down there's nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    You don't need the expertise knowledge of the animals to film them; but if that's the route you want to go down there's nothing wrong with that.
    It helps.

ReputationRep:
    This is definitely something you'd want to get proper careers advice for. I actually wanted to become a cameraman, heh, still could , I'd be interested in what comes up!

ReputationRep:
    You'd need to learn the technicialities of camera work and everything that entails. I dont think zoology would be that much of a help if you are not a professional camera person. They would look for someone who would be able to know how to shoot fast moving objects, or slow and delicate creatures and how to maximise shot potential rather than someone who knows where an animal is going to hunt for food. That is a researchers job. There are loads of opportunities about. Albeit opportunities with lots of competition. Check out Skillset.org

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    You'd need to learn the technicialities of camera work and everything that entails. I dont think zoology would be that much of a help if you are not a professional camera person. They would look for someone who would be able to know how to shoot fast moving objects, or slow and delicate creatures and how to maximise shot potential rather than someone who knows where an animal is going to hunt for food. That is a researchers job. There are loads of opportunities about. Albeit opportunities with lots of competition. Check out Skillset.org
    :yep:

As I said - if you want to go down the zoology route for purposes of having a contingency plan, then do so; but consider film production too.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies

Whilst becoming a cameraman would be ideal, I'd be perfectly content being involved in research or anything that doesn't involve sitting at the desk all day. I think I'd prefer a degree like zoology over film production because I'm interested in the science and the degrees are quite different from each other.

My main concern is whether or not I should risk taking a gap year and reapplying, or instead spend a year doing physics and see whether I like it or not. Hopefully it wouldn't be too late to change courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibanezman1991)
    thanks for the replies

Whilst becoming a cameraman would be ideal, I'd be perfectly content being involved in research or anything that doesn't involve sitting at the desk all day. I think I'd prefer a degree like zoology over film production because I'm interested in the science and the degrees are quite different from each other.

My main concern is whether or not I should risk taking a gap year and reapplying, or instead spend a year doing physics and see whether I like it or not. Hopefully it wouldn't be too late to change courses.

What specifically would you want to do with your physics degree?
    In your situation, zoology would be far more relevant; and it sounds like you'd enjoy it much more too. If that's the case, I'd say take a gap year (preferably using it to get experience) and go on to study zoology. You'll work far better if you enjoy the subject and have an end goal in sight anyway.

ReputationRep:
    stick with physics, join the film/camera/drama societies. Find out what the BBC use and learn all the technical stuff - do courses or whatever just to add to a CV. Get a job at the BBC and go where you want to go within the organisation.

The BBC will snap you up with a physics degree, they are probably sick of all the stupid media production muppets who apply there.

ReputationRep:
    im doing a biology degree as I really enjoy it and i could do many jobs in science and research (and enjoy them) but my real hope is to be a wildlife photographer!! im going to try really hard to do it but its a very tough job and ill always have my science degree to fall back on. plus in studying biology it really does help to understand the subject better, it opens yor eyes to new aspects of the field and ive found myself able to get closer and better photos of things scince!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.