The Student Room Group

I’m sure if I’m smart enough, I could work less

Honestly I’m willing to work hard in this life for me and everyone around me but I just think a masters is honestly enough to get me a good paying stable job. I really don’t want a PhD or a PsyD. In the future, I’d like to open up my own practice and maybe even become a professor or an assistant. I’d rather not be in debt all my life for something I probably won’t enjoy. Any advice?
The answer may surprise you, but you don't need a degree at all to get a good paying stable job. I think that if you're going down the university route then a bachelors degree is enough for almost anything, especially if you get a 2.1 degree classification. If you're trying to get a normal job then a PhD and masters is just a waste of money and time in my opinion. The only exception is if your dream is to become a university lecturer/professor, but if that's not what you want to do, then I don't see any point in a masters or PhD. Get some work experience in the field where you'd like to work, because your work experience and your transferrable skills will be much more valuable than some overrated masters degree or PhD.
Whatever you really want to do in life - go ahead and do it.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Whatever you really want to do in life - go ahead and do it.

I am but there’s some mistakes that I can avoid making.
Original post by Robotnix
The answer may surprise you, but you don't need a degree at all to get a good paying stable job. I think that if you're going down the university route then a bachelors degree is enough for almost anything, especially if you get a 2.1 degree classification. If you're trying to get a normal job then a PhD and masters is just a waste of money and time in my opinion. The only exception is if your dream is to become a university lecturer/professor, but if that's not what you want to do, then I don't see any point in a masters or PhD. Get some work experience in the field where you'd like to work, because your work experience and your transferrable skills will be much more valuable than some overrated masters degree or PhD.

I agree. I do want to end up working for myself eventually. I will be taking a masters though in case I may want a phd later down the future but I really don’t know. It’s only a year after all
Original post by Anonymous
I am but there’s some mistakes that I can avoid making.

So go ahead and take action in the most skilful way you can.

Don't worry about making mistakes. It's better to forge ahead than to have analysis paralysis.
And at the same time, learn from others. Aim to take wise action and not to take dumb action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending