Has anyone gotten low grades in their second year and high grades in their third?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone gotten low grades in their second year (around 60 and below) but managed to get high grades during their third year (70+)? If so, how?

Did you make changes to your studying techniques and routines and do you have any tips on getting high results?
fightorflight66
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What degree do you do? So I can try to make my advice as relevant as possible! 😊
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
i did the opposite and got high grades in 2nd year and low in 3rd year (by low I mean not in the first class boundary...)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by fightorflight66)
What degree do you do? So I can try to make my advice as relevant as possible! 😊
MEng Architectural Engineering (civil, structural, mechanical and a small amount of the humanities side of architecture). So mostly math equations, science formulas, theories, a bit of drawing and one essay recently. A mix of coursework and exams
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I know lots of people who did much better in their third year than their second year. The difference in study technique was generally that they started doing some.

If you're already working really hard, it will be significantly more difficult to make a big improvement than if actually, if you're honest with yourself, you've been doing the bare minimum.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by skylark2)
I know lots of people who did much better in their third year than their second year. The difference in study technique was generally that they started doing some.

If you're already working really hard, it will be significantly more difficult to make a big improvement than if actually, if you're honest with yourself, you've been doing the bare minimum.
Makes sense. Something happened in my life that caused depression during the January exams so I could barely get out of bed or stay awake, let alone study. I got diagnosed with something in February but CBT therapy and antidepressants didn't start till April, halfway through semester 2. So I've been trying to catch up on the whole semester within the last month but still deal with symptoms that are slowly getting better over time.

I am studying well now but I'm pretty sure I'd get better grades if the studying was consistent throughout the year as my main issue is getting through all the content and questions, not the learning/understanding part. Thank you for the response!
fightorflight66
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
MEng Architectural Engineering (civil, structural, mechanical and a small amount of the humanities side of architecture). So mostly math equations, science formulas, theories, a bit of drawing and one essay recently. A mix of coursework and exams
I’m sorry that you’ve been dealing with mental health issues. I hope it continues to get better for you soon! I’m graduating this year with a Criminology degree, so I can’t really help in terms of your coursework. However, in terms of your exams and essays, I found it helpful to read and follow the feedback from my lecturers. I know that may seem self-explanatory, but our lecturers had to keep reminding us to as not everyone was doing so. Also, if you are assigned a personal tutor from your department, which I presume you are, ask to regularly check in with them and maybe go over some of your assignments to receive current feedback as well. I hope that helps somewhat 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
32.79%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.08%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.82%

Watched Threads