How to make myself more employable as a civil engineering during uni?

Watch this thread
Davinarose
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What can I do over the summer or during the school year to beef up my CV and increase my chances of landing a job in civil engineering after university?

My degree is an MEng in Architectural Engineering which covers parts of civil, structural, and mechanical engineering as well as a little bit of architecture. I am most interested in the digital design areas (Revit, CAD, programming etc) of the industry, so any advice specific to those would be even better.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Davinarose)
What can I do over the summer or during the school year to beef up my CV and increase my chances of landing a job in civil engineering after university?

My degree is an MEng in Architectural Engineering which covers parts of civil, structural, and mechanical engineering as well as a little bit of architecture. I am most interested in the digital design areas (Revit, CAD, programming etc) of the industry, so any advice specific to those would be even better.
Are you at school or university?
Davinarose
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
Are you at school or university?
currently finishing my second year at university.
Smack
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
currently finishing my second year at university.
OK. The best thing you could do would be to get internships/summer placements. If you're more interested in the design side, then the consultancies would be a good place to look first.

Does your degree enable you to do civil, structural and MEP?
Davinarose
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
OK. The best thing you could do would be to get internships/summer placements. If you're more interested in the design side, then the consultancies would be a good place to look first.

Does your degree enable you to do civil, structural and MEP?
I think so. Here is a quote from my university website about my degree accreditations:

"The course is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators, which includes the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers under licence from the Engineering Council. This degree is accredited as fully satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).

The course is also accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers."
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In a nutshell: internships.

You may also consider "playing around" with CAD in your spare time and showcasing your models on a simple website hosted on Github. Perhaps also get involved in 3D printing and the various communities in that area - again with the aim of showcasing your design modelling skills.
Smack
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think so. Here is a quote from my university website about my degree accreditations:

"The course is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators, which includes the Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Structural Engineers, Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, and the Institute of Highway Engineers under licence from the Engineering Council. This degree is accredited as fully satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).

The course is also accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers."
That gives you plenty of options then! Do you have a preference for which path you want to go down? Do you have any location preferences?

Also, get help from your university's careers service on how to write a CV, do application forms, interviews etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (41)
31.78%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (60)
46.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
20.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.78%

Watched Threads