biochem, manchester vs. king's vs. imperial

Watch this thread
username5971629
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi, i've received (conditional) offers from imperial, manchester and king's for biochem starting this september and i'm having a hard time choosing my firm and insurance choices. for context, i'm an international student and my main aim is to do a PhD.

imperial: it's a 3-year BSc (i might take on the placement option which might make it more expensive though), it's preferred by employers, has better quality and research opportunities and also higher reputation in league tables. but i'm not completely sure if my final grades would meet the requirements, they might be like 1-2% lesser than my offer requirements. the modules are kinda dry and repetitive though, not very diverse.

king's: although my offer is currently a BSc, I can transfer to an MSci later in the programme, the modules aren't very interesting or diverse though.

manchester: it's an MSci (making my PhD pathway quicker) and it's less expensive than king's and imperial and also the cost of living at manchester is obviously much less than in london. the core and optional modules both seem to be much more detailed at manchester.

i'm having a hard time choosing which of the three should be my firm and insurance choice and i'd appreciate it if anyone doing any bioscience course at either uni would add more pros and cons (stuff like: 1. the quality of labs, 2. research opportunities, 3. societies and clubs, 4. how good the faculty is, 5. accommodation costs, 6. student satisfaction) so that i can make an informed decision. thanks!
Last edited by username5971629; 4 weeks ago
username5971629
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
hi, i've received (conditional) offers from imperial, manchester and king's for biochem starting this september and i'm having a hard time choosing my firm and insurance choices. for context, i'm an international student and my main aim is to do a PhD.

imperial: it's a 3-year BSc (i might take on the placement option which might make it more expensive though), it's preferred by employers, has better quality and research opportunities and also higher reputation in league tables. but i'm not completely sure if my final grades would meet the requirements, they might be like 1-2% lesser than my offer requirements. the modules are kinda dry and repetitive though, not very diverse.

king's: although my offer is currently a BSc, I can transfer to an MSci later in the programme, the modules aren't very interesting or diverse though.

manchester: it's an MSci (making my PhD pathway quicker) and it's less expensive than king's and imperial and also the cost of living at manchester is obviously much less than in london. the core and optional modules also seem to be much more detailed at manchester.

i'm having a hard time choosing which of the three should be my firm and insurance choice and i'd appreciate it if anyone doing any bioscience course at either uni would add more pros and cons (stuff like: 1. the quality of labs, 2. research opportunities, 3. societies and clubs, 4. how good the faculty is, 5. accommodation costs, 6. student satisfaction) so that i can make an informed decision. thanks!
username5971629
Rep:

manchester: it's an MSci (making my PhD pathway quicker) and it's less expensive than king's and imperial and also the cost of living at manchester is obviously much less than in london. the core and optional modules also seem to be much more detailed at manchester.

Last edited by username5971629; 4 weeks ago
username5971629
Rep:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
29.07%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (30)
34.88%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.3%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.49%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.81%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.95%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.33%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.16%

Watched Threads