Bristol filled with tories??

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone

I'm an international student hoping to study at UoB, and I've been talking to some other offer holders and they mentioned the university is filled with tories - especially stoke bishop. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I have no idea what to expect...
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Uni of is filled w private school tories coming to Bristol for the skins experience but the city is v liberal
rebelo
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Uni of is filled w private school tories coming to Bristol for the skins experience but the city is v liberal
so is it full of liberals or tories? I'm confused
or are you just using 'tory' as a byword for a middle class private school person who didn't get into oxbridge?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone

I'm an international student hoping to study at UoB, and I've been talking to some other offer holders and they mentioned the university is filled with tories - especially stoke bishop. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I have no idea what to expect...
Virtually everywhere in the UK has reasonable amounts of “tories” if you hold a prejudiced perspective of them I would avoid the UK!
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone

I would say it would have more tory supporters than the average uni, but whats with wrong with having loads of tories lol?
rebelo
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say it would have more tory supporters than the average uni, but whats with wrong with having loads of tories lol?
yeah labour's useless and all it does is make promises about green issues which is really not why anyone's voted labour ever
they don't help working class ppl at all and they're not even any good as opposition
toomuchheaven
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah it's filled with chavs
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rebelo)
yeah labour's useless and all it does is make promises about green issues which is really not why anyone's voted labour ever
they don't help working class ppl at all and they're not even any good as opposition
I understand people's frustrations about tories, but it's mainly stemmed from the incompetent government, it's not representative of the party. Labour on the other hand are useless and make promises they know they won't be able to achieve to draw in people from working class and minority backgrounds.
rebelo
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand people's frustrations about tories, but it's mainly stemmed from the incompetent government, it's not representative of the party. Labour on the other hand are useless and make promises they know they won't be able to achieve to draw in people from working class and minority backgrounds.
that's what I'm saying - except I don't think labour's unrealistic policies DO even draw ppl from the working class. The 'green Industrial Revolution' is a middle class pet project
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally appreciate young tories for being honest. The old adage of "you get more conservative the older you get" is untrue, because it's skewed by a lot of young people who engage in leftist revolutionary discussions without actually truly believing what they're talking about. They were raised conservative, they become "leftists" at university (perhaps as a form of protest against the 'rents, or just because it's trendy) then waltz out into banking jobs and be conservative again. Those of us who sit genuinely on the left are very much exasperated by these people, because they derail a lot of discussions to mollycoddle themselves. I was at a debate over corporate feminism the other day and the amount of faux-leftists who were trying to soothe their own consciences got in the way of the actual discussion. They're also difficult to have conversations with because they try and qualify everything you say to try and make themselves feel better.

In my experience the actual leftists of your university are probably decent friends with a lot of working class conservatives, or even outright posh tories. We get along with their intellectual honesty, and in many ways we want similar things. The temporary leftists believe in guilt by association so they don't meet with or discuss with anyone they view as right of centre. Here at Oxford there is a cabal of people who attend all the political drinking events. They're all friends, and I was adjacent to this group for a time. There's all sorts in it, revolutionary marxists, lib dems (I know right I thought they were extinct), labour supporters, working class conservatives, tories in the new sense of the word (neoliberals), tories in the old sense of the word (as in Robert Peel.) They all like a good discussion and a good drink.

At least young tories don't pretend to be anything other than what they are. They also have really good parties.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rebelo)
that's what I'm saying - except I don't think labour's unrealistic policies DO even draw ppl from the working class. The 'green Industrial Revolution' is a middle class pet project
From my experience, chatting to working class conservatives, it's a general distrust of those in power that prevents them from voting Labour. I think they generally expect to be slight f-ed over by the conservatives, but some of the promises labour makes are hard to believe and even when they're budgetted people don't trust it.

Their last manifesto was a joke, and I'm sure this is because the centre of the party refused or wasn't allowed to help temper it. If they'd set one or two realistic goals that a lot of people could agree with, then done those well they may have been elected and would have had a good case for re-election. Perhaps re-nationalising water. That's one most people can agree with. Perhaps also reversing the privatisation of the NHS. I would have been happy if a plan to build more social housing would have been in there too. Their promises on Telecoms was what really took the biscuit though. Ludicrous. Simply stupid.

If you're going to play electoral politics, you have to play electoral politics. This is something I wish more leftists would understand. Electability isn't some scam, it's a necessary part of the process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (15)
26.32%
As I expected (16)
28.07%
Harder (23)
40.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.26%

Watched Threads