The Student Room Group

weight loss?

i would like to lose weight for summer (i am overweight) and i want to know how i can lose weight? i dont have access to gym and ive tried dieting and it doesn't work for me (i cant lose weight)

any tips.?

Scroll to see replies

Do the KETO diet, search it up, in the diet u have to cut out any sugar and carbs
Hi, I'd like to the the same as you! I was happy with my weight but now because of A-levels, I haven't worked out in over 2 months and I stress eat too which has made me put on quite a bit. :frown:

I was thinking of just doing at-home workouts using youtube. I know a few channels that post lots of challenges; ranging from 2 weeks to a few months which is quite fun to do. (e.g Chloe ting or Daisy Keech) I'm also gonna try to eat healthier (just have chocolates/sweets & crisps on weekends) and have more veggies - maybe by juicing or having just smoothies for one or two days per week. I love food so I don't really wanna cut anything out of my diet lmao but I think this is a good way to still be healthy whilst enabling yourself to eat anything the other days of the week.
You don't need a gym in order to be able to exercise.

Try walking, swimming, jogging, going up and down steps, following aerobic videos on YouTube, etc.

Do you need to lose weight? A lot of people on TSR feel as though they need to lose weight, when actually all they need to do is tone up. Are you overweight?
Consume less calories then you burn, ultimately it’s about self motivation.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'd like to the the same as you! I was happy with my weight but now because of A-levels, I haven't worked out in over 2 months and I stress eat too which has made me put on quite a bit. :frown:

I was thinking of just doing at-home workouts using youtube. I know a few channels that post lots of challenges; ranging from 2 weeks to a few months which is quite fun to do. (e.g Chloe ting or Daisy Keech) I'm also gonna try to eat healthier (just have chocolates/sweets & crisps on weekends) and have more veggies - maybe by juicing or having just smoothies for one or two days per week. I love food so I don't really wanna cut anything out of my diet lmao but I think this is a good way to still be healthy whilst enabling yourself to eat anything the other days of the week.

yes me too, right now due to gcses im so stressed and gaining weight like crazy, i wanna look good for summer :frown:

but yeah im going to try out out at home workouts, and try use my skipping rope and im gonna cut out sugars and snacking
i would like to lose weight for summer (i am overweight) and i want to know how i can lose weight? i dont have access to gym and ive tried dieting and it doesn't work for me (i cant lose weight)

any tips.?

calorie deficit. You don't have to diet, just reduce the amount of food you eat. Do some exercise every day, a walk, run, or cycle every day.
Reply 7
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
calorie deficit. You don't have to diet, just reduce the amount of food you eat. Do some exercise every day, a walk, run, or cycle every day.

Exactly this^
and ive tried dieting and it doesn't work for me (i cant lose weight)

What did you try? Just eating 'healthy options'? That isn't how you lose weight at all.

Think of it logically, how do you gain weight? By eating too much
So how do you lose weight? Eat less

Exercise isn't the solution to weight loss. There are other reasons to do it, but weight loss isn't one of them. The extra calories you burn are negligible and often lul people into a false sense of security (Oh, I've burned YYY calories on that jog, having X food won't hurt) and often makes you feel more hungry because you've just burned a bit of energy. Your body burns the most calories just simply keeping you alive (energy for your brain, keeping your body up to temp, etc...), the energy you use for physical activities is very small in comparison.

The absolute simplest way to lose weight is eat less. There are other reasons to eat healthy and exercise, but as far as weight loss goes, it doesn't matter whether you're eating junk or healthy foods. If you're only eating 1500 calories of junk food, you'll still lose weight. Likewise, if you're eating 3000 calories of salads, you're going to gain weight.

For some reason weight loss is a massively misunderstood subject by the public. People seem to think going for a jog every day will do the trick. It won't. You need to address the core issue, the reason you've gained weight in the first place, which will be your diet. So it's your diet that needs to change.

Look at it this way...

100% of the energy you gain comes from food.
60-80% of it is used for basic survival
10% is used for digestion
That leaves 10-30% for all physical activities. Of which exercise will be a very small part of.

The amount of energy we burn each day is actually rather rigid assuming there's no drastic differences in climate (I.E being in the arctic)/body (I.E bodybuilder with a lot of muscles). A fit, lean African Tribesman will burn about as much energy as a sofa sitting Brit, despite the former being much more active. It's just how our bodies function. We can't control the calories out variable very well, so ultimately it's about the calories going in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by fareeda234
Do the KETO diet, search it up, in the diet u have to cut out any sugar and carbs

Poor advice, as there's no need for fad diets, and sugars are carbs so that's wrong!
Do yoga daily for about 30 days regularly, you will see the difference.
Poor advice, as there's no need for fad diets, and sugars are carbs so that's wrong!

This is the best diet it improves ur mood, weight and skin, I did it for 2 months and it’s “not wrong” at all, decreases ur chance of diabetes, heart disease, kidney stones, obesity and more! Sugars and carbs are NOT essential at all. The diet is heavily based on 80% fat (meat/cheese/yogurt etc) and protein (eggs etc) and alot of healthy greens! Stop quoting in stuff u don’t know lol.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just try to eat healthy and on calorie deficit. Also do some simple exercises at home or just walk a lot. Whatever you like just to be more active.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by fareeda234
This is the best diet it improves ur mood, weight and skin, I did it for 2 months and it’s “not wrong” at all, decreases ur chance of diabetes, heart disease, kidney stones, obesity and more! Sugars and carbs are NOT essential at all. The diet is heavily based on 80% fat (meat/cheese/yogurt etc) and protein (eggs etc) and alot of healthy greens! Stop quoting in stuff u don’t know lol.

If you reread my post, i said what's wrong is putting that 'carbs and sugars'; sugar is a carbohydrate! Plus it can actually increase your chance of kidney stones:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dangers-of-keto-diet

The same article also states "A long-term observational study in over 130,000 adults linked animal-based low carb diets to higher rates of death from heart disease, cancer, and all causes".

Meanwhile, carbs provide various benefits: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-functions#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

A diet is just a way of eating. It's better to go for something healthy and sustainable that becomes a long-term habit. If keto isn't a weight-loss fad, why did you only do it for 2 months and not much longer?
Reply 14
If you reread my post, i said what's wrong is putting that 'carbs and sugars'; sugar is a carbohydrate! Plus it can actually increase your chance of kidney stones:

I had kidney stones, most painful thing ever I couldn’t walk and it was a horrible experience 10/10 would not recommend
Original post by mnot
Consume less calories then you burn, ultimately it’s about self motivation.

Self discipline> self motivation

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dangers-of-keto-diet

The same article also states "A long-term observational study in over 130,000 adults linked animal-based low carb diets to higher rates of death from heart disease, cancer, and all causes".

Meanwhile, carbs provide various benefits: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-functions#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

A diet is just a way of eating. It's better to go for something healthy and sustainable that becomes a long-term habit. If keto isn't a weight-loss fad, why did you only do it for 2 months and not much longer?

R u dumb?? Not eating it doesn’t cause kidney stones, actually stuff like sugar and chocolate and salt actually causes kidney stones, I stopped the diet because I didn’t have a lot of Keto friendly stuff in my house as my parents do the shopping and I didn’t have much to eat, my mums been doing the diet for about a year, it is sustainable as long as u have the resources, the longer you do the diet the more you lose ur cravings from sugar and carbs, when I came off the diet I actually felt sick eating sugar. I love how you’re bashing the diet when you’ve probably never done it. And i didn’t do it for weight loss, I did it for gut health and decrease of chance in diabetes and heart disease. Clearly you think google has the answer for everything and I’m not gonna sit here arguing with a brick wall. Humans back in the day didn’t eat 3 meals sugary cereals, chocolate, crisps, cake, pasta and today we do, about half of Britain’s population is overweight/obese, and I don’t even start on America. Keep relying on articles to live ur life, it’s people like you who believe things are “too good to be true” Keto is a blessing and it’s unfortunate for you that ur heavily bias views will stop u from discovering that, it cured pre diabetes and improves so many peoples lives. Just bc u saw a random article online with the name “health line” doesn’t make it true hunny, you don’t even know who’s behind that, might aswell start getting info from Wikipedia, I think I’d rather believe medical health experts advice than a random article. If ur not that disciplined to do the Keto diet, just say that. In my home country sugar is a delicacy, and only children really like it, it’s not consumed that often or everyday, my grandad, born in the 1890s lived till 113. It’s only recently as sugar has become a more widespread product people are developing all this health related diseases such as diabetes.
(edited 1 year ago)
Self discipline> self motivation

I love it when people don’t post petty semantics :smile:

any tips.?

Please make sure that you're starting with a healthy mindset. You don't need a certain body 'for summer'; if you do want to lose weight for health reasons or it's a personal choice that's obviously fine, but one of my friends was discontented with her body, started dieting, couldn't stop and eventually developed an eating disorder.
That by no means happens for everyone or most people, but I just wanted to caution you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Try doing jump rope if you have a garden and solid knees!
Burns a lot more calories than running and is quite fun too.

Quick Reply