Mass spectrometry in organic chamistry

Watch this thread
SS1234567890
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In the mass spectrometry, is the molecule only being broken once or is the fragments going to futher break down into smaller pieces?

Because when i was doing past paper questions on mass spectrometry, my teacher told us that the molecule would only be broken down once, but on my textbook, they said the fragments can be broken down into even smaller onces. So, i was wondering if the case is different when i'm doing the questions or ...?

Thanks!
Last edited by SS1234567890; 4 weeks ago
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SS1234567890)
In the mass spectrometry, is the molecule only being broken once or is the fragments going to futher break down into smaller pieces?

Because when i was doing past paper questions on mass spectrometry, my teacher told us that the molecule would only be broken down once, but on my textbook, they said the fragments can be broken down into even smaller onces. So, i was wondering if the case is different when i'm doing the questions or ...?

Thanks!
the molecules break down further, provided its possible, that is, when there are bonds in the fragments which can break..
Its just that the likelihood that the fragments break down to form even smaller fragments is lower, also why the intensity(the % abundance) of the peaks in the mass spectrometer for the smaller fragments are lower.
SS1234567890
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
the molecules break down further, provided its possible, that is, when there are bonds in the fragments which can break..
Its just that the likelihood that the fragments break down to form even smaller fragments is lower, also why the intensity(the % abundance) of the peaks in the mass spectrometer for the smaller fragments are lower.
I see
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SS1234567890)
I see
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!
my pleasure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (57)
26.51%
As I expected (68)
31.63%
Harder (82)
38.14%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.72%

Watched Threads