Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, today..the car got damaged at the bumper, and the guy did a 'runner'.. there has been several witnesses that came forwarded. The person says that they cannot pay for the damage as they cannot afford it. To me..i believe it's blatently lies..what legal action am i required to do?

I love to press charges against him with evidence of the witnesses willing to come forward (if they wish to). but i'm not a lawyer so.. anyone here know what i, the victim can get from this..

Surely theres been several situations like this and i feel no justice is served if the criminal, yes hence criminal damage to my property..is actually getting away with it.

Any advice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have motorcar insurance where-ever you are living eh?

ReputationRep:
    Call the police? A hit and run is what it sounds like.

ReputationRep:
    car insurance, yes.. and he also does not willing to give there insurance. Sorry, i forgot to state that. which is vital.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the police obviously...?!

Dont know what the US term is, but leaving the scene of an accident is definitely a crime.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the UK the police would definitely want to know about someone who appears to be driving without insurance (they would seize his car immediately), and also left the scene of an accident without leaving their details. In both cases the driver is likely to get fined, points on their driving license, and prison is an option for the judge -- but that depends how bad the accident is.

I think if you tell the police (call their non-emergency number) they'll be able to tell you what you need to do to make a claim against the driver.

ReputationRep:
    What actually happened OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    Well, in the UK the police would definitely want to know about someone who appears to be driving without insurance (they would seize his car immediately), and also left the scene of an accident without leaving their details. In both cases the driver is likely to get fined, points on their driving license, and prison is an option for the judge -- but that depends how bad the accident is.

I think if you tell the police (call their non-emergency number) they'll be able to tell you what you need to do to make a claim against the driver.
    Thanks for the help, was very helpful rep added

Also thanks for everyones reply. It's a long story, short. course, i love to detail every vital clue to pursuing this but i'd like keep it also discreet. Who knows..the person could be a TSR user? maybe? lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.