The Student Room Group

Advanced highers in s6?

Hi I’m currently in s5 and i’m picking my choices for s6. My pastoral care teacher told me that most unis look for students to have at least 1-2 advanced highers but i personally don’t want to do any of the advanced highers that much and all the courses i want to do say that the entry requirements are AABB. Should i take an advanced higher to be safe or would i be fine just doing 4 highers in s6
I got completely different advice to that (I've just completed S6). I was told that for the majority of courses the passport to university is Highers unless you are looking to do medicine or similar. The best thing to do is what it seems you've been doing and checking the entry requirements for the courses and universities that you're interested in. The only other time I was advised AH would be helpful is if you're looking to actually do a degree in that subject at university (e.g. if you wanted to do a BSc in Geography then doing AH Geography would help you in your first year of uni but isn't a requirement to have to get in to uni).

Does that make sense?
Reply 2
Yes, its interesting that you've been told differently. Thank you so much for your response it was very helpful, I definitely needed advice from someone who was recently in the school system and not one of my teachers :h:
Original post by marchag
I got completely different advice to that (I've just completed S6). I was told that for the majority of courses the passport to university is Highers unless you are looking to do medicine or similar. The best thing to do is what it seems you've been doing and checking the entry requirements for the courses and universities that you're interested in. The only other time I was advised AH would be helpful is if you're looking to actually do a degree in that subject at university (e.g. if you wanted to do a BSc in Geography then doing AH Geography would help you in your first year of uni but isn't a requirement to have to get in to uni).

Does that make sense?
my school doesnt care how many adv highers you take. my maths teacher also told us we shouldnt take any unless unis ask for them or youre gonna do that subject at uni or smth.

i took higher maths, english, modern studies, biology, and chemistry last year + this year im taking higher business, geography, rmps, and history. no adv highers. i wanna do primary teaching so i think its impressive to have a wide range of subjects at higher.

Quick Reply