centripetal acceleration formula derivation...

Watch this thread
Abraham_Otaku
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'll attach the file below..
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
what do they even mean by the sinthetha/thetha =1 as thetha tends to 0.. I think its something to do with the fact that for very small values of angles.. sinthetha=thetha, but not sure.....help.
Attached files
Last edited by Abraham_Otaku; 4 weeks ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Linear expansion. You can express a sine function via the form

\sin(\theta) = \theta - \frac{1}{3!}\theta^3 + \frac{1}{5!}\theta^5 + \cdots

If the value of \theta is very nearly zero, you can see that the above expression will tend to the limit

\sin(\theta) \approx \theta
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Linear expansion. You can express a sine function via the form

\sin(\theta) = \theta - \frac{1}{3!}\theta^3 + \frac{1}{5!}\theta^5 + \cdots

If the value of \theta is very nearly zero, you can see that the above expression will tend to the limit

\sin(\theta) \approx \theta
ohh i see.. Thanks.
oh yeah also.. what if the angle is 0 degrees as opposed to just tending towards 0.. wouldn't that mean that in the derivation, centripetal acceleration is infinite?..
Callicious
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
ohh i see.. Thanks.
oh yeah also.. what if the angle is 0 degrees as opposed to just tending towards 0.. wouldn't that mean that in the derivation, centripetal acceleration is infinite?..
Look at your expression. If theta goes to zero, then you have a division of theta over theta- aka unity. Iirc you discuss taking limits in A-Level mathematics.
Last edited by Callicious; 4 weeks ago
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Look at your expression. If theta goes to zero, then you have a division of theta over theta- aka unity. Iirc you discuss taking limits in A-Level mathematics.
Based on your reply.. I feel as if the answer is really obvious.. still don't get it though.
Sinnoh
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Abraham_Otaku)
ohh i see.. Thanks.
sin(x)/x is undefined if x is equal to 0, but the limit as x goes to 0 is 1 - i.e. gets arbitrarily close to 1 without being equal.
Note that undefined doesn't mean infinite either.
Abraham_Otaku
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
sin(x)/x is undefined if x is equal to 0, but the limit as x goes to 0 is 1 - i.e. gets arbitrarily close to 1 without being equal.
Note that undefined doesn't mean infinite either.
I see. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads