OCR Biology - Central Concepts - reaction? Watch

This discussion is closed.
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Anyone else do this exam? What did you think?

At first I thought it was hell, lol, but then that's what I always think. Then when I got into it I was ok....
loobie_lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Anyone else do this exam? What did you think?

At first I thought it was hell, lol, but then that's what I always think. Then when I got into it I was ok....
Lol yeah I felt the same - when I started it I thought how on Earth am I going to pass this? Unlike you though my feeling continued until the exam was over, but when I got home and went through my revision guide (also known as my Bible) I think I did okay, I got a lot of the major key points so fingers-crossed I won't have to resit it in June! But it's not a major pain if I do have to cos I'll have to revise it for the synoptic.

xxx
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Yeah that's what I thought. If I get like a C in CC then I'll retake, it's not much hassle because of the synoptic, like you said.

Was there a question asking the organelle in which photosynthesis is carried out?? I thought it said respiration so I put mitochondrion! HAHA
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
was ok. didn't get what nitogeneous compounds are urinated.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
I put ammonia and carbon dioxide. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
I put ammonia and carbon dioxide. Someone tell me I'm wrong please.
carbon dioxide isn't nitrogenous, but don't worry. I think I wrote ammonia too, which is definitely wrong

I think the correct answers were creatine and uric acid :confused:
undiscovered
Rep:
?
I KNEWW KNEW KNEW those two names but I wasn't sure. I f00ked up ALLLLL the small questions, I HATE myself.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
What did you write for how ATP helps transmit a nerve impulse?
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
What did you write for how ATP helps transmit a nerve impulse?
I wrote about active transport in sodium-potassium pump to create electrochemical gradient, and also used to resynthesise acetylcholine in the synaptic knob.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
Oh great. I should never have asked that.

I thought I got good marks, say 70+. Now I estimate I got about 55. F00k. I am SOOO pissed off, you have no idea how much I revised for that exam and gave up my entire life for it.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What did you write about?

Question 2, and the sympatric speciation was a biatch.

You'll be fine anyway, I think the grade boundary should be a bit lower hopefully?
ryanm
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
creatine is not correct its creatinine.

wot u say about the neurones is exactly wot i put.
undiscovered
Rep:
?
My hopes of an A have been seriously dented now. I need 76/90 (UMS). Ack!! What do you reckon that would be in raw marks (last Jan an A was 63 raw marks/90)?
loobie_lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't worry!

I had no idea what the nitrogenous waste products were - according to my Bible amino acids that have been metabolised are excreted so that might have been one of them. As for the other I put ammonia cos I had no idea!

That wheat question was a complete biatch!!!! Oh well there's always June.

Cheer up everybody if we all found it hard the grade boundaries might be lowered.

xxx
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Any amino acids that need to be disposed of are deaminated, creating urea and ammonia, so urea is excreted; and you do actually excrete some NH4+, apparently, so you may have a mark for that (even though it's technically ammonium ions, not ammonia, as biologists aren't usually too worried about technicalities like that!)

I refer you to:
http://web.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking...m.html#removal

What was the wheat question? - just out of interest!
undiscovered
Rep:
?
The wheat question was weird, I don't know if I grasped it right. What did you put for artificial selection? And for the bottom one did you right about sympatric speciation and polyploidy etc etc?
loobie_lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I put a cack answer for both!

I couldn't think of enough to write in the artificial selection to get all the marks they were offering... I just wrote about offspring with desirable characteristics being bred together to increase the allele frequency.

For the sterile P and Q thing I had absolutely no idea! I put that they were sterile cos they had a different number of chromosomes and they were polyploids incapable of repdroducing :confused:

Lol oh well.

xxx
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by loobie_lou)
I put a cack answer for both!

I couldn't think of enough to write in the artificial selection to get all the marks they were offering... I just wrote about offspring with desirable characteristics being bred together to increase the allele frequency.

For the sterile P and Q thing I had absolutely no idea! I put that they were sterile cos they had a different number of chromosomes and they were polyploids incapable of repdroducing :confused:

Lol oh well.

xxx
Yeah I wrote that (for artificial selection), but the P and Q question was really **** - defo cocked that up. :hmpf:
undiscovered
Rep:
?
I thought 5 marks for the artificial selection was way too many, there wasn't exactly much to write, just what Lou said! The sterile and fertile wheat was was alright, after I realised that I'd got it the wrong way wrong and written why P was fertile when it was sterile (or the other way round, whatever)!
Margerie Dawes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the nitrogenous products are creatinine and uric acid though I only found that out after the exam whe I looked at the book
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (67)
66.34%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
20.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
12.87%

Watched Threads