Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you prefer? I prefer uni 100%. The area, my flat, my friends here, the general people and atmosphere. I hate the area I'm from, and I haven't as close friends as I have here, and I've only been here over a month. I would live here forever if I could.

Any more experienced uni students prefer uni to home also? How did you cope when you went back home?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I much prefer uni to home. I don't have all that much at home, basically no close friends and I hate all the crappy memories I have of the place. University is much better, it's good that you prefer it to home in a way... I can't stand those people who go home every weekend to see all their old friends, seems kind of silly.
    I go home twice a year for about 10 days at a time! It's not too hard to cope with since it's not a lot of time, so normally I can busy myself and manage to not get bored before it's time to go back to uni

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I prefer home, I know everyone in the area, I used to hang with these people just cracking jokes for hours on end, I can't remember a boring conversation with them. Also my parents make my favourite food for me whenever so I'm sorted their, also everything is cheaper and you can never get lost. My atmosphere is nice near my home, its got a cinema, arcade, huge shopping centre, park, clubs, pubs, stadiums even when we get bored of things half of my friends drive so we just get in a car and go to somewhere. Best thing about living at uni is independancy and learning your own way and doing what the **** you want and meeting new people, but to be honest I feel like i have it good where I am so not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    I like both but prefer uni more.
    Ive only been a uni since September but when ive visited home since then its been more as something to do, not really because i wanted to. I do like the place and the people but when i come back for a weekend or whatever everybody else is still at uni, ive not much family to see etc so theres not much point in coming back!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I prefer home because that's where my friends are! I don't really fit in too well at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    I prefer home because that's where my friends are! I don't really fit in too well at uni.
    Likewise, minus the friends. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I like both. Would probably say I prefer uni, as I wouldn't want to move back home, but I do like going back home every now and then when my friends do too, as they're a big part of what I do miss about home. Best of both worlds

ReputationRep:
    I prefer home 100%.

I like Lancaster the place but I also like Manchester. I love my family and friends here at home and whilst I have a couple of friends at university, I've no one I am that close with.

As a result, I've been coming home every fortnight but as I have all my essays and such due these upcoming weeks, I don't think I'll be able to come home again until Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Home because that's where my true friends are. Friends at uni won't acquire that staus for a while yet!

I prefer home because I can get online on the ps3 and I have plenty more to eat.

ReputationRep:
    I like the freedom here but I've got no close friends here :s

ReputationRep:
    I definately prefer home, as that's where all my family is and things are just familiar there. My house is nice whereas although my halls room has all my stuff in it, it still feels kind of bleak..

ReputationRep:
    I prefer home. I've got friends in both places but my friends at home are long term friends I've known years. I also miss my family loads when I'm at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Both really. Home because I miss my friends and my family. But uni because there's stuff to do lol. Back home, theres very little going on usually, whereas here at uni, theres something every night if I wanted to go out all the time.
    I'm still in the process of getting used to uni though, and am planning on going home this weekend (will be my 2nd time home since I moved at the end of september).

ReputationRep:
    Home, by far. The town isn't nice but I don't go out very often at all at home. I love being home, everything about my house is great. It's warm and comfortable and I feel really safe here. I don't like my uni house and being at uni is just stressful, the environment plagues me to be honest. The only good thing about being at uni is seeing my friends there and spending time with them. Everything else, I hate.

ReputationRep:
    Uni by far. I hate home - not my family or actual home, but the town and the people who have treated me like crap for 18 years. Also don't like the accent but that's a bit mean! There are no transport services or many shops around me so whenever I want to go somewhere I have to ask my parents to drive me which I hate! I'm used to being independent! They don't mind, they love having me there but I just don't like having to ask. Yep, Edinburgh rules

ReputationRep:
    I really missed home when I first came to uni, lasted about 2 weeks... Then I met/got closer with some friends and everything just fell into place. My home life is also slightly problematic so really wasn't that hard to enjoy uni more

I don't like the lectures/classes though - they're so impersonal and much worse than at school - but evenings/nights are great because it is like hanging out with friends all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    What do you prefer? I prefer uni 100%. The area, my flat, my friends here, the general people and atmosphere. I hate the area I'm from, and I haven't as close friends as I have here, and I've only been here over a month. I would live here forever if I could.

Any more experienced uni students prefer uni to home also? How did you cope when you went back home?
    very glad for YOU!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask a question slightly off-topic? Do you only stay in the University for the duration of the term, or during parts of the holidays too? I'm asking because in places like Oxford and others have a short 8 week term. Do you go home in-between every term? If this were the case, It would mean that I'd be more at home than in University!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.