chemistry help A level

Watch this thread
bluestarr35910
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This is probably silly but for transition metals , I know they need to have an incomplete d sub-shell, I know its usually 3d sub-shell, but do they have an incomplete 4d sub-shell?
Notjustobsessed
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I think so, I looked online and it seems that a transition metal has an incomplete d subshell in general
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bluestarr35910)
This is probably silly but for transition metals , I know they need to have an incomplete d sub-shell, I know its usually 3d sub-shell, but do they have an incomplete 4d sub-shell?
The definition of what a transition element is changed recently. Probably your spec. won't have caught up, yet.

OCR A, for example, defines it thus: 5.3.1 (b) the elements Ti–Cu as transition elements i.e. d-block elements that have an ion with an
incomplete d-sub-shell.

The IUPAC definition defines a transition metal as "an element whose atom has a partially filled d sub-shell, or which can give rise to cations with an incomplete d sub-shell".

According to OCR A, Sc is not TE, according to IUPAC, Sc is a TE.

In answer to your initial Q, the 4s sub-shell is not part of the requirement to be a TE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.47%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.07%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.79%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.3%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.49%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.29%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.4%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed