can't move back home after uni &save up money bc parents are getting divorced

Watch this thread
sienna0305
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm 21 in my last year of uni and was always planning on moving back home for maybe a year or so to get a job and save up money and then move out when i had enough but now my parents are getting divorced and selling the house . I'm not massively surprised as they fight a lot but it puts me in an awkward position. I know most people stay in their uni city after graduation and find a cheap house there whilst they work but i go to uni in central london and i can barely afford rent as it is even with my student loan and working 20-30 hours a week. I go to an arts uni and do an arts degree so i don't have an office job or anything lined up for september as people who do stuff like comp sci or geography often do (don't give me a grief for not doing a "proper" degree as that's not helpful at all). We live just outside of manchester so i was planning to get a job there but travel in and still live at home next year but now my parents are selling the house and my dad is moving into a one bedroom apartment and my mum is moving in with my grandma in cornwall for a bit i'm pretty sure. I can't live with either of them so i'm not really sure what to do? should i rent a room in manchester anyway as it will be cheaper than london ?? Has anyone in a similar situation got any advice lol where can i find the cheapest place to live
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Find your own place. This may be hard at first but do check out local community newspapers to see if any houses are actually listed on sale or even try to visit a few different estate agent offices in town in order to find out a bit more about the current property market situation as well. Make brief summary notes. Good luck. Focus on houses that are selling well. Tour a few.
Look at job adverts for starters and talk to hiring companies in your local area, call or email them. Pay close and careful attention to your own key skills etc. Read up on the different interview techniques, person specifications and then take a close look at a few different types of careers. Meet new and fun people. Go to career fairs in addition. Best wishes to you.
skylark2
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sienna0305)
I'm 21 in my last year of uni and was always planning on moving back home for maybe a year or so to get a job and save up money and then move out when i had enough but now my parents are getting divorced and selling the house . I'm not massively surprised as they fight a lot but it puts me in an awkward position. I know most people stay in their uni city after graduation and find a cheap house there whilst they work but i go to uni in central london and i can barely afford rent as it is even with my student loan and working 20-30 hours a week. I go to an arts uni and do an arts degree so i don't have an office job or anything lined up for september as people who do stuff like comp sci or geography often do (don't give me a grief for not doing a "proper" degree as that's not helpful at all). We live just outside of manchester so i was planning to get a job there but travel in and still live at home next year but now my parents are selling the house and my dad is moving into a one bedroom apartment and my mum is moving in with my grandma in cornwall for a bit i'm pretty sure. I can't live with either of them so i'm not really sure what to do? should i rent a room in manchester anyway as it will be cheaper than london ?? Has anyone in a similar situation got any advice lol where can i find the cheapest place to live
Where are your old schoolfriends from Manchester living? Surely they're not all at home with mum and dad?

I would suggest asking if any of them want to share a house or flat next year. If not then they might know someone who is, or you can just start looking on sites like spareroom.
sienna0305
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
Where are your old schoolfriends from Manchester living? Surely they're not all at home with mum and dad?

I would suggest asking if any of them want to share a house or flat next year. If not then they might know someone who is, or you can just start looking on sites like spareroom.
i was considering it but i don't want to risk falling out with my friends if i fall behind on rent !! maybe if i find a solid job lol
sienna0305
Rep:
(Original post by tinyperson)
Find your own place. This may be hard at first but do check out local community newspapers to see if any houses are actually listed on sale or even try to visit a few different estate agent offices in town in order to find out a bit more about the current property market situation as well. Make brief summary notes. Good luck. Focus on houses that are selling well. Tour a few.
Look at job adverts for starters and talk to hiring companies in your local area, call or email them. Pay close and careful attention to your own key skills etc. Read up on the different interview techniques, person specifications and then take a close look at a few different types of careers. Meet new and fun people. Go to career fairs in addition. Best wishes to you.
thanks for the advice!!
tinyperson
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
32.86%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (32)
45.71%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads