stressing seriously

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
okay so i dont know if its just me but basically a levels has got me stressed and i potentially have (undiagnosed) ADHD so i find it hard to actually sit and revise for a long period of time. i know i should see my gp at some point to find out if it is actually ADHD but i cba as it takes so long to get an appointment.
i keep having a full on mental breakdown every night crying due to the stress of exams as i am someone who actually cares about my grades but i havent been doing that well recently. i dont really have a question, its just for me to vent as i dont really have any close friends to talk about this with and my family doesnt take mental health issues seriously so its a lose lose situation for me lol but if anyone has any tips for last minute revision (my exam is in 11 days) and also tips for studying with ADHD in order to get a decent grade meaning a B as thats what im aiming for.
i just think because my year group never did GCSEs so we havent felt this immense pressure and now its really hitting so hard, im just lost and drained mentally, physically and emotionally.
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly you are making a mistake of stressing over the end grade. That is not constructive and will not help you at all

Tell anyone you know that you are going off social media to revise. Now you can concentrate without distraction.

Get your subjects together, and list the exam dates so you know which subject needs first priority etc You will have days in between exams that you can also utilise for last minute revision.

Make a list of the key subject areas for each exam, tick several times if you know lots, no tick nothing

Home in on any subject areas with no ticks

Use your time in 10 minute bursts. Write key words, use mnemonics, images, links, colours to learn subject matter

If there is a whole concept you don't understand - give yourself 10 mins to carefully go through it step by step, reading each word carefully and understanding each sentence until you understand that concept.

After 10 minutes do some exercise (run/jog go up & down stairs) or have a nap - then close your eyes and visualise what you have just learnt. Repeat the process. Work, rest, work, relax, work, exercise. Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruit & veg.

In all likelihood you probably don't have ADHD but just a natural panic reaction to knowing you have an exam and not enough revision or knowledge to sit it? Regardless of this you can stuff your short term memory and still achieve a good grade or a grade to get you to Uni. You have to absolutely ignore the ticking clock or count down to exam date. Even if you had loads of time you can sabotage your own merit just by not controlling your emotional state.
So every minute you waste procrastinating you could lose 1 mark - learn 1 mark's worth of knowledge in the next ten minutes. Repeat and that could drag you from a C to a B.

Draw a plan for yourself, a timetable and stick to it. But do everything in short bursts. Stop and give yourself a rest break, a complete mental stop. Breathe very very deeply and don't allow the express train of destructive thoughts to power through your head and destroy your good intentions. Do the best you can. Use your time efficiently and you will be ok. Do your best, nothing more and see what comes out at the end of it.

There are some guides which may help, but don't waste too much time exploring what is out there. Get your key facts learnt

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...king-the-grade

Use this site for exam revision tips too
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Muttly)
Firstly you are making a mistake of stressing over the end grade. That is not constructive and will not help you at all

Tell anyone you know that you are going off social media to revise. Now you can concentrate without distraction.

Get your subjects together, and list the exam dates so you know which subject needs first priority etc You will have days in between exams that you can also utilise for last minute revision.

Make a list of the key subject areas for each exam, tick several times if you know lots, no tick nothing

Home in on any subject areas with no ticks

Use your time in 10 minute bursts. Write key words, use mnemonics, images, links, colours to learn subject matter

If there is a whole concept you don't understand - give yourself 10 mins to carefully go through it step by step, reading each word carefully and understanding each sentence until you understand that concept.

After 10 minutes do some exercise (run/jog go up & down stairs) or have a nap - then close your eyes and visualise what you have just learnt. Repeat the process. Work, rest, work, relax, work, exercise. Drink plenty of water and eat fresh fruit & veg.

In all likelihood you probably don't have ADHD but just a natural panic reaction to knowing you have an exam and not enough revision or knowledge to sit it? Regardless of this you can stuff your short term memory and still achieve a good grade or a grade to get you to Uni. You have to absolutely ignore the ticking clock or count down to exam date. Even if you had loads of time you can sabotage your own merit just by not controlling your emotional state.
So every minute you waste procrastinating you could lose 1 mark - learn 1 mark's worth of knowledge in the next ten minutes. Repeat and that could drag you from a C to a B.

Draw a plan for yourself, a timetable and stick to it. But do everything in short bursts. Stop and give yourself a rest break, a complete mental stop. Breathe very very deeply and don't allow the express train of destructive thoughts to power through your head and destroy your good intentions. Do the best you can. Use your time efficiently and you will be ok. Do your best, nothing more and see what comes out at the end of it.

There are some guides which may help, but don't waste too much time exploring what is out there. Get your key facts learnt

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...king-the-grade

Use this site for exam revision tips too
ok thank you for the advice and btw its helped me so much. i did 2 hours of biology revision today without stressing or getting distracted. im pretty sure the problem was me trying to do straight 1 to 2 hours of revision in one sitting but now that i tried the 25 mins study, then 5 minutes break method, im actually finding myself being very focused.
im going to head to the library tommorow to get some more work done now that ive found an effective method of revision. thanks again for the help! hopefully there will be no more mental breakdowns over my exams.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
okay so i dont know if its just me but basically a levels has got me stressed and i potentially have (undiagnosed) ADHD so i find it hard to actually sit and revise for a long period of time. i know i should see my gp at some point to find out if it is actually ADHD but i cba as it takes so long to get an appointment.
i keep having a full on mental breakdown every night crying due to the stress of exams as i am someone who actually cares about my grades but i havent been doing that well recently. i dont really have a question, its just for me to vent as i dont really have any close friends to talk about this with and my family doesnt take mental health issues seriously so its a lose lose situation for me lol but if anyone has any tips for last minute revision (my exam is in 11 days) and also tips for studying with ADHD in order to get a decent grade meaning a B as thats what im aiming for.
i just think because my year group never did GCSEs so we havent felt this immense pressure and now its really hitting so hard, im just lost and drained mentally, physically and emotionally.
In a few years time your A levels will mean nothing really, just a few letters on a piece of paper. Something that is actually something that means a lot is your health and stressing or crying etc isn't good for that. It's alright having a few number high grades on a bit of a4 paper that will mean f*ck all in a few years especially when you'll think of the stress. So basically what I'm trying to say is chill out it's just exams
Anonymous #1
In a few years time your A levels will mean nothing really, just a few letters on a piece of paper. Something that is actually something that means a lot is your health and stressing or crying etc isn't good for that. It's alright having a few number high grades on a bit of a4 paper that will mean f*ck all in a few years especially when you'll think of the stress. So basically what I'm trying to say is chill out it's just exams
people always say this to me and tbh it never makes me feel any better or less stressed because im someone who cares so much about my grades so no its not just letters on a piece of paper. also i dont wanna disappoint my parents cus theyve worked so hard to actually give me a good life idk just my personal opinion
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
people always say this to me and tbh it never makes me feel any better or less stressed because im someone who cares so much about my grades so no its not just letters on a piece of paper. also i dont wanna disappoint my parents cus theyve worked so hard to actually give me a good life idk just my personal opinion
Have you ever thought people are saying this because maybe it might be true? It is just a piece of paper, you can still have a good life without it, I promise you that. Grades dont determine weather you have a good life or not. Your parents should be proud of you anyway as long as you tried your best because that's all you can do

our parents should be proud of you regardless if you've put in you all, tried your best because that's all you can do.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry for the mistake I made on the last comment. I wanted to also say if it's stressing you out that much you might be able to see your doctor to get a note so you don't have to do the exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads