changed course after foundation year but need to resit first year

Watch this thread
Courtneyoliviam
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've posted on here about this subject before. I have been given the thumbs up by my uni to repeat my first year of my studies, this is out of my own personal choice as I feel I can do much better than what I have done this year. anyway to the actual question...

originally at uni I chose policing and criminal investigation with a foundation year (4 years all together) I passed the foundation year so was cleared to move onto my first year however I changed my course from policing and crim investigation to forensic science and crim investigation for September 2021 . (its the same course length, and its the exact same course it just swaps the policing modules for the forensic modules, other than that all other modules are shared with each other). I'm wondering because I changed course after my foundation year, will student finance still fund me for resitting my first year? I've been told that student finance will still fund you if you've done a foundation then need to resit your first year, but there's no info anywhere about people that have switched to a similar course after foundation. anybody have any ideas about this? asking on here first before I ask themselves.

thanks guys.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to check with your university whether they shortened your course length with SFE when they changed your course. Talk to the registry/student records department.
Courtneyoliviam
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
You need to check with your university whether they shortened your course length with SFE when they changed your course. Talk to the registry/student records department.
what does that mean? i never started on year one of the policing and criminal investigation after my foundation year, i just started on forensics and criminal investigation year straightaway when september came in 2021. so, so far ive only done one foundation year and ive just finished my first year, but i will be resitting it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Courtneyoliviam)
what does that mean? i never started on year one of the policing and criminal investigation after my foundation year, i just started on forensics and criminal investigation year straightaway when september came in 2021. so, so far ive only done one foundation year and ive just finished my first year, but i will be resitting it.
It means that you need to ask your university student records/registry team if they’re currently telling SFE/SLC that you’re on a 3 year or 4 year course. What they’re reporting to SFE will determine if SFE will count your foundation year as your gift year or not and no one on tsr can answer this for you.

Pick up a phone tomorrow and call your student records/registry team and ask to speak to whoever sends details to SLC.
SFE Clare
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Courtneyoliviam)
I've posted on here about this subject before. I have been given the thumbs up by my uni to repeat my first year of my studies, this is out of my own personal choice as I feel I can do much better than what I have done this year. anyway to the actual question...

originally at uni I chose policing and criminal investigation with a foundation year (4 years all together) I passed the foundation year so was cleared to move onto my first year however I changed my course from policing and crim investigation to forensic science and crim investigation for September 2021 . (its the same course length, and its the exact same course it just swaps the policing modules for the forensic modules, other than that all other modules are shared with each other). I'm wondering because I changed course after my foundation year, will student finance still fund me for resitting my first year? I've been told that student finance will still fund you if you've done a foundation then need to resit your first year, but there's no info anywhere about people that have switched to a similar course after foundation. anybody have any ideas about this? asking on here first before I ask themselves.

thanks guys.
Hi Courtney,

If you have had no other repeat years or previous study (given that the foundation year was an integral part of the initial version of the course) then you will be eligible for this repeat year.

Thanks, Clare
Courtneyoliviam
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
thank you, this is very helpful, glad somebody could answer it on here

(Original post by SFE Clare)
Hi Courtney,

If you have had no other repeat years or previous study (given that the foundation year was an integral part of the initial version of the course) then you will be eligible for this repeat year.

Thanks, Clare
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.5%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (54)
45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads