sharing a kitchen in uni

Watch this thread
Lellyit00009
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
heyyy! i’ve got an accommodation for uni and i’ve put downs deposit to share a flat and therefore a kitchen, with 4 other girls. However, i’m apprehensive for how the food system in the kitchen is going to work. How do we all stick to what we have bought? how does sharing food in uni actually work
rebelo
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I share a kitchen with 9 and we don't share food at alllll
we kinda ended up all choosing and sticking to our own part of the fridge (we have 2) and out own cupboard. literally never had a problem with stealing food, although I think somebody took my sponge from the sink lol
maybe have a meeting with the group to chat and clarify expectations tho
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lellyit00009)
heyyy! i’ve got an accommodation for uni and i’ve put downs deposit to share a flat and therefore a kitchen, with 4 other girls. However, i’m apprehensive for how the food system in the kitchen is going to work. How do we all stick to what we have bought? how does sharing food in uni actually work
Hiya!

I shared with three other people when I was in uni halls. There was plenty of storage to keep our food and utensils separate. Some flats in my halls did joint shops and had dinners together like a little family, whereas my flatmates and I kept everything separate.

It is always good to have open and honest communication with those you share with, so if someone does pinch some of your food (which is unlikely) make sure to tell them and set those boundaries

Try not to stress over it too much, it often comes quite naturally once you're settled in.

Take care,
Rylee - Student Ambassador
3rd Year Advanced Applied Psychology
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Usually you each end up with your own shelf in the fridge (either formally agreed or just informally everyone ends up with their own "territory" in it). Generally people don't share food except with explicit agreement, although equally that doesn't mean others won't take your food...so I'd suggest not buying anything expensive and keeping it in the shared spaces for too long.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Usually what happens is that all the main food items (like fruit, veg, meat, bread, leftovers, pasta, rice etc) are owned by individual people. Spices and sauces (condiments, not like jars of sauce) are likely to be shared, milk may also be shared (usually people don't mind if you nick a bit for tea, but unless you've all agreed milk is communal don't use large amounts for like cereal.) For the most part you just need to chat to your flatmates! Some people might be happy sharing things communally (bread, milk, oil etc) and some might want to keep to themselves. If it's a bit fuzzy, I would say small amounts of things are fine to take, but use your noggin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads