How to change educational supervisor? (IMT)

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am an IMT, currently 29 weeks pregnant. My pregnancy is high risk, I've had awful morning sickness (lost 5kg in my first trimester), and am now trying to manage gestational diabetes and anxiety as well. Despite this I've managed to complete my eportfolio. My ES has been completely unsympathetic throughout my whole pregnancy, has literally no understanding that I've completed my portfolio despite difficult circumstances and despite the fact that training opportunities have been limited due to COVID. He is now making me jump through hoops and asking for a higher level of evidence for certain things than other colleagues have been asked for by their ESs. It feels like he is adding stress at an incredibly stressful time for no apparent reason. Has anyone got any experience of this? And does anyone know how I can go about changing ES?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Congratulations on your pregnancy, and sorry you've had such a rough time. Unfortunately some areas of medicine, and many individual consultants/supervisors, are still clueless and/or unsympathetic about the risks and challenges of pregnancy and working as a doctor. Have you had a proper risk assessment? Do you have a plan to come off on calls? And for maternity leave itself? There may well be local guidelines that can help you and your local LTFT champion can be a good source of support even if you are still FT. If you are on FB then the various BMA groups and PMGUK can be very useful.

As for the ES, I'd start with whoever is in charge of the IMT programme at your hospital, and escalate to TPD/college tutor if needed. I hope you can get things a bit more sorted before you go on mat leave.
Last edited by Helenia; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Congratulations on your pregnancy, and sorry you've had such a rough time. Unfortunately some areas of medicine, and many individual consultants/supervisors, are still clueless and/or unsympathetic about the risks and challenges of pregnancy and working as a doctor. Have you had a proper risk assessment? Do you have a plan to come off on calls? And for maternity leave itself? There may well be local guidelines that can help you and your local LTFT champion can be a good source of support even if you are still FT. If you are on FB then the various BMA groups and PMGUK can be very useful.

As for the ES, I'd start with whoever is in charge of the IMT programme at your hospital, and escalate to TPD/college tutor if needed. I hope you can get things a bit more sorted before you go on mat leave.
Hi, yes I've sorted all of that (though without any help from him, I had to do everything through OH). I just really want to have someone new when I come back.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, yes I've sorted all of that (though without any help from him, I had to do everything through OH). I just really want to have someone new when I come back.
Ok, well that's a relief at least! Start with whoever the college tutor/programme director is for IMT in your hospital then, and then escalate to the deanery if needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads