What can you do with psychology degree?

Watch this thread
DTON
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm going to be doing psychology distance learning because I'm sick of working dead end jobs. As to whether I'll get a better job after is irrelevant to me because I just want to study it and then if I get a relevant job then it's a bonus to me.

From what I can gather it's pretty hard to get a job connected to psychology, especially if you haven't gone on to do masters.

Up to now I can only think of:

Assistant psychologist
Counselling (further study required)
Prison service (probation)
Police call handler
Graduate schemes

Realistically if I do well with my degree I should do masters but it's a long way off so I don't want to make promises to myself that I can't keep lol

That said as it stands (provided the government don't change it) I could finish my psychology in 2025 and get a second degree in STEM which will probably help me more career wise, especially as I'd then have two routes I could take to masters level if I decided to.

But I'd rather just get my head around psychology as it's BPS accredited and pursue it 100%

If you're a graduate in psychology, what job have you managed to get?

Thank you in advance
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Your average assistant psycholgist roles are very competitive but getting enough decent work experience makes all the difference. Getting an AP role straight out of uni isn't realistic for most so I recommend looking at support worker jobs and similar to get experience working in those environments. Volunteer work is highly sought after as well.

As far as I'm aware, you don't even need a degree to work for the probation service but again, it is very competitive to get into.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 4 weeks ago
University of Salford Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DTON)
I'm going to be doing psychology distance learning because I'm sick of working dead end jobs. As to whether I'll get a better job after is irrelevant to me because I just want to study it and then if I get a relevant job then it's a bonus to me.

From what I can gather it's pretty hard to get a job connected to psychology, especially if you haven't gone on to do masters.

Assistant psychologist
Police call handler
Graduate schemes

Realistically if I do well with my degree I should do masters but it's a long way off so I don't want to make promises to myself that I can't keep lol

That said as it stands (provided the government don't change it) I could finish my psychology in 2025 and get a second degree in STEM which will probably help me more career wise, especially as I'd then have two routes I could take to masters level if I decided to.

But I'd rather just get my head around psychology as it's BPS accredited and pursue it 100%

Thank you in advance
Hi DTON
I've recently graduated with my degree in psychology. Psychology is applicable to so many aspects of life, your choices after are limitless. Friends from my course have gone onto a variety of jobs, from teaching, to advertising and sales and even going onto do postgraduate courses. As I was always interested in developmental/educational psychology upon leaving university I got a job working in a school for children with special educational needs before moving on to marketing and external relations at the University of Salford where I mostly speak to students about obtaining a degree and general university life.

If you're sure you want to work in the criminal justice industry perhaps try looking into a degree that combines psychology and criminology or even psychology and counselling. You can still have an accredited degree and have the relevant knowledge to enter the industry that way. I'd also look into what experience you can obtain both before and during your degree as this will not only show you to be a proactive and competent person on applications but will also help you to understand exactly what it is you would like to do.

I hope this helps and good luck for the future

Maryam Bham
University of Salford Student Rep
DTON
Rep:
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Your average assistant psycholgist roles are very competitive but getting enough decent work experience makes all the difference. Getting an AP role straight out of uni isn't realistic for most so I recommend looking at support worker jobs and similar to get experience working in those environments. Volunteer work is highly sought after as well.

As far as I'm aware, you don't even need a degree to work for the probation service but again, it is very competitive to get into.
I think it's one of those degrees that can open many doors, however you have to then open the door and explore it more instead of being given a key right upon graduation. Thank you for your advice
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Obviously some jobs need a (psychology) degree but ultimately the degree itself is no guarantee when it comes to jobs. It is good to do some kind of work or volunteering during your degree (e.g. in holidays) to make you more likely to be offered any job. It's a versatile degree that can be used to go in many directions though depending on your interest
Last edited by Interrobang; 4 weeks ago
TheLetterZ
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
"As to whether I'll get a better job after is irrelevant to me because I just want to study it and then if I get a relevant job then it's a bonus to me."

No.

I strongly recommend you think about what you want to do in life before thinking about how and where to pursue the necessary qualifications.
Last edited by TheLetterZ; 4 weeks ago
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I did a psychology degree and I'm now studying physiotherapy! Psychology got me nowehere
DTON
Rep:
(Original post by TheLetterZ)
"As to whether I'll get a better job after is irrelevant to me because I just want to study it and then if I get a relevant job then it's a bonus to me."

No.

I strongly recommend you think about what you want to do in life before thinking about how and where to pursue the necessary qualifications.
I just want to understand the topic more, I have my options open. If it interests me then I see no real harm. Besides, I had a career I thought I'd like and it turned out to be rubbish lol
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DTON)

Assistant psychologist
Police call handler
Graduate schemes

Thank you in advance
Hi there,

With a BSc in Psychology, you can also apply for research assistant roles or PWP trainee roles, which are well paid and prestigious. However, these job roles are very competitive, and to be successful upon applying, I would suggest doing some work experience relevant to mental health.

Hope that helps!

Ivaylo
Student Ambassador
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DTON)

Assistant psychologist
Police call handler
Graduate schemes

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

Psychology is a great degree that can set you up for many fields!

Data analysis and research methods are core to BPS accredited psychology degrees which can be applied in different careers, whether that is a job as a data analyst or research assistant jobs. Psychology can also play a key role in marketing and advertising.

Of course, the jobs you have mentioned are directly related to the course content with your professional skills and subject knowledge. Most universities will have career services that can help you unpick the skills and attributes you develop over the course of your degree which can then help you explore future career directions.

I am currently studying for an integrated masters in Psychology and I am planning to remain in research and academia for my career, but I feel equipped to chase other jobs within the field. If you do want to get a master's I would explore integrated masters (MSci) as they are seen as an undergraduate by student finance meaning it is fully funded by SFE.

I hope this has been helpful Best of luck!

Rylee
Student Ambassador
3rd year Advanced Applied Psychology Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.67%
As I expected (67)
31.9%
Harder (79)
37.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.81%

Watched Threads