engineering vs actuarial science, which one has a better base salary in London?

Watch this thread
Idg a damn
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi I am debating between actuarial science and mechanical engineering. which one should i chose and which of these has a better career prospect
ajj2000
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Actuarial science as a degree or working as an actuary?
Idg a damn
Rep:
working as an actuary
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Idg a damn)
working as an actuary
I'll bet the average actuary earns more than the average engineer but its not really a straightforward comparison. Becoming an actuary involves years of very tough exams - a large proportion will never pass them. Its very hard to get in - most trainees with have top degrees in maths/ physics/ engineering type courses.

Where would you be looking to go to university and for what course if considering the actuarial route? Will you get the sort of A level grades necessary to be competitive?
Idg a damn
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
I'll bet the average actuary earns more than the average engineer but its not really a straightforward comparison. Becoming an actuary involves years of very tough exams - a large proportion will never pass them. Its very hard to get in - most trainees with have top degrees in maths/ physics/ engineering type courses.

Where would you be looking to go to university and for what course if considering the actuarial route? Will you get the sort of A level grades necessary to be competitive?
Preferably NTU in Singapore or LSE
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Preferably NTU in Singapore or LSE
If you can get into NTU you are strong enough to succeed in lots of fields!
Idg a damn
Rep:
If you can get into NTU you are strong enough to succeed in lots of fields!
Ofc since they want 4a*
Idg a damn
Rep:
bump
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Your question was already answered
bump
Idg a damn
Rep:

Are u really sure about this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads