Can I do an apprenticeship and study at OU at the same time?

Watch this thread
rainyrkd12
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I started studying with OU in 2016 and completed the first two years.
When my son was born in late 2017, I took a break.

Now my son is due to start school in September I'm considering returning to my degree part time. However, I'll likely be starting an apprenticeship in September to become a teaching assistant. All of the work for the apprenticeship is done during normal working hours.

Is there anything stopping me doing an apprenticeship and a part time degree too?
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
There aren't any rules at all on whether you can study for an OU degree, are there? It's more a question of whether you will have time for a full time job, a part time degree, and doing everything else which comes with having a child and a home to look after.

Personally I would wait and see how the apprenticeship + child in school goes. If you find yourself twiddling your thumbs in the evenings thinking "I wish I'd started that OU module", then go for it the next term.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by rainyrkd12)
Hi,
I started studying with OU in 2016 and completed the first two years.
When my son was born in late 2017, I took a break.

Now my son is due to start school in September I'm considering returning to my degree part time. However, I'll likely be starting an apprenticeship in September to become a teaching assistant. All of the work for the apprenticeship is done during normal working hours.

Is there anything stopping me doing an apprenticeship and a part time degree too?
you'll have to check with student finance and your apprenticeship providers, some apprenticeships have an issue with getting the course funded if you're studying at a higher level e.g doing or have done degree level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads