St Andrews application

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I would like to study History at St. Andrews but I’m predicted AAB rather than the required AAA but my B is for geography whereas the As are for History and Politics. Will this already reject me if I don’t score AAA in the real thing or does it not matter that much?
snollama2030
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would like to study History at St. Andrews but I’m predicted AAB rather than the required AAA but my B is for geography whereas the As are for History and Politics. Will this already reject me if I don’t score AAA in the real thing or does it not matter that much?
They'll probably reject, I'm sorry to say. This is an internationally acclaimed university, with thousands on students on just standby, with near perfect grades, hoping for just the chance of entry. Unless you have something exceptional apart from grades to back you up, you'll porbably get rejected if you don't make the requirements. Doubly so since the grade boundaries might be lower this year.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm afraid I agree with snollama2030. The minimum grade requirements are just that - the minimum. I know there are cases of some applicants being accepted with lower grades but not in light of COVID especially at St Andrews with courses being heavily oversubscribed and people with A*A*A*A* being rejected.

Do you have any other options? Whats your alternative plans?
snollama2030
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Having said that, predicted grades don't instantly translate to deifinite. I was predicted DDE and I ended up with A*AA when I did mocks. Make sure to keep revising and focus on nailing exams for now, rather than posting on TSR. It's incredible that you already have an offer from St. Andrews, so buckle down, and best of luck!
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by snollama2030)
Having said that, predicted grades don't instantly translate to deifinite. I was predicted DDE and I ended up with A*AA when I did mocks. Make sure to keep revising and focus on nailing exams for now, rather than posting on TSR. It's incredible that you already have an offer from St. Andrews, so buckle down, and best of luck!
Oops misread this, predicted grades have no bearing for unis on actual outcomes. Unis only care about your final grades
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
If you miss the grades required for your offer you should contact the uni first thing on results day to ask if they will still consider you as a near miss. They may do so, they may not - ultimately it's at their discretion whether they would accept you or not in that case. That said, as above predicted grades are not achieved grades so you can certainly do better than your predicted grades in the end anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads