The Student Room Group

University student looking for a summer job

I'm having so much difficultly looking for a summer job that pays well (like 9.50/hour) and is close to me. Anyone have any tips and tricks? The whole process is exhausting to me.
Smaller businesses will be easier to go through as they have less lengthy onboarding processes. Seasonal workplaces are worth looking at (caravan parks, for instance), as are pubs, cafes and resturants. Just wander round with your CV+a pen and ask in places if they're hiring.

The thing you sacrifice perhaps is pay. Many of these places will pay legal minimum (£6.83 for 18-20 yr olds £9.18 for 20-22 year olds £9.50 23+.) However, you can probably get extra hours easier.

Do you already have work experience or are you new to the market?
Tell us a bit more. Also you did not specify to us whether you had done work experience or not. Buff up your CV. Focus on developing your key skills and also take it from there. Email or call some different or local hiring companies to find out some more. Read a variety of current job descriptions and adverts and check person specifications and make brief summary notes. Practice your interview skills (there are resources that can help with this).
Original post by XKangaotiCX
I'm having so much difficultly looking for a summer job that pays well (like 9.50/hour) and is close to me. Anyone have any tips and tricks? The whole process is exhausting to me.

Hi
You can try applying to the likes of supermarkets ( Tesco, Morrison and Sainsbury's etc ) Tesco pay currently all staff £9.55 per hour and will increase to £10.10 per hour in July.
Will point out that if you do apply for a supermarket job just beaware that you might be paid slightly less than the actual pay per hour rate for the first 12 weeks of employment as it's a probation period this okay.

If you stay within the London area the pay is usually higher than elsewhere in the UK.
(edited 1 year ago)
Are you in london?

Try applying for agencies as they tend to take a lot of students, their work is also flexible as you choose when you want to work
Original post by zoe.nyaku
Are you in london?

There's a lot of agency work In London. I use arc recruitment, coople,indeedflex, high society, hap staffing, shack events,host staffing. All agency work, flexible because its a casual worker contract and the pay is all £10+. Summer is the best time to work
Original post by vicvic38
Smaller businesses will be easier to go through as they have less lengthy onboarding processes. Seasonal workplaces are worth looking at (caravan parks, for instance), as are pubs, cafes and resturants. Just wander round with your CV+a pen and ask in places if they're hiring.

The thing you sacrifice perhaps is pay. Many of these places will pay legal minimum (£6.83 for 18-20 yr olds £9.18 for 20-22 year olds £9.50 23+.) However, you can probably get extra hours easier.

Do you already have work experience or are you new to the market?

I've got decent work experience, like charity shop work and assembly operator for a company, but i definitely need decent pay in order to cover costs of accomodation. I'll definitely try this though, thank you!
Are you in london?

There's a lot of agency work In London. I use arc recruitment, coople,indeedflex, high society, hap staffing, shack events,host staffing. All agency work, flexible because its a casual worker contract and the pay is all £10+. Summer is the best time to work

I'm in reading, but I'll check out if there's any agency work here. Thank you!
I'm in reading, but I'll check out if there's any agency work here.

Check out hap recruitment, there's a lot of festival shifts in the area. They accept everyone!
Indeed is a good website for general work. Hotbox for Festival etc work.
Its also worth asking your Uni's Admissions / Recruitment offices - they may need student help for Clearing and move-in week etc

Do these agency works in Manchester also??
Original post by ToGodly
Do these agency works in Manchester also??

Nationwide listings.
You can try indeed but don’t apply through indeed, you should directly go onto the company’s website and apply through there because people normally don’t look at applications that were sent in indeed. Try newspapers even though this might be an old fashion way, there should be a small column for jobs. If not walk around your local shopping centre and see if any shop has a hiring sign and give them your cv.
Original post by tinyperson
Tell us a bit more. Also you did not specify to us whether you had done work experience or not. Buff up your CV. Focus on developing your key skills and also take it from there. Email or call some different or local hiring companies to find out some more. Read a variety of current job descriptions and adverts and check person specifications and make brief summary notes. Practice your interview skills (there are resources that can help with this).

I think I've got a decent CV with a bunch of accomplishments and some volunteering work experience under my belt. I'm thinking of emailing my career advisor or someone like that. Thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending