The Student Room Group

Will I grow taller?

I am 23 years old, but since January (just after my birthday), I have grown by approx 0.75 inches. I still shrink by about a full inch during the day, but my morning height is now 5'8.75"/174.5 cm, compared to 5'8"/173 cm when I used to wake up, and now 5'7.75" when I go to bed compared to 5'7"/170 cm. I grew 0.5 inches in January and then in April, I grew about 0.2/0.3 inches. 23 is a VERY late age to get a growth spurt, but this was the first time I grew since I was 16! Now, I could well be done growing, but over the last week I have been getting these (mild) growing pains, a bit of throbbing and aching here and there in the feet/shins/thighs. Considering my height growth over the last few months is this a sign that I will continue to get a bit taller? My parents are quite short, but on both sides of the family there are tall people. My mum is short, but both her parents are average height (she is 2 inches shorter than her mother), and of her brothers, one is 6'2", although another is only 5'6.5". My dad's parents were not very tall, but one of his brothers was 5'11". Amazingly, I found that my mum's taller brother had a growth spurt around his 22nd birthday, where he grew THREE inches. My uncle on my dad's side went from 5'5" to 5'11" around the age of 18. I read that growing pains don't always mean one is actually going to grow in height, though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 7jsk0501
I am 23 years old, but since January (just after my birthday), I have grown by approx 0.75 inches. I still shrink by about a full inch during the day, but my morning height is now 5'8.75"/174.5 cm, compared to 5'8"/173 cm when I used to wake up, and now 5'7.75" when I go to bed compared to 5'7"/170 cm. I grew 0.5 inches in January and then in April, I grew about 0.2/0.3 inches. 23 is a VERY late age to get a growth spurt, but this was the first time I grew since I was 16! Now, I could well be done growing, but over the last week I have been getting these (mild) growing pains, a bit of throbbing and aching here and there in the feet/shins/thighs. Considering my height growth over the last few months is this a sign that I will continue to get a bit taller? My parents are quite short, but on both sides of the family there are tall people. My mum is short, but both her parents are average height (she is 2 inches shorter than her mother), and of her brothers, one is 6'2", although another is only 5'6.5". My dad's parents were not very tall, but one of his brothers was 5'11". Amazingly, I found that my mum's taller brother had a growth spurt around his 22nd birthday, where he grew THREE inches. My uncle on my dad's side went from 5'5" to 5'11" around the age of 18. I read that growing pains don't always mean one is actually going to grow in height, though.

It's not possible to guess whether you're going to grow taller. Why do you pay so much attention to it though? Even if you do grow taller from now it will not be by very much.
Reply 2
Original post by sufys
It's not possible to guess whether you're going to grow taller. Why do you pay so much attention to it though? Even if you do grow taller from now it will not be by very much.

If I was to grow taller there is of course a possibility I could reach 5'10" (but at most). Take into account, that this is the first time I have ever had growing pains.
If I was to grow taller there is of course a possibility I could reach 5'10" (but at most). Take into account, that this is the first time I have ever had growing pains.

5'10'' is the upper bound and is unlikely. If you're 5'8.75" it's 3cm or so, and that's the upper bound as you say... I don't think you should focus on it as much as you do.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sufys
5'10'' is the upper bound and is unlikely. If you're 5'8.75" it's 3cm or so, and that's the upper bound as you say... I don't think you should focus on it as much as you do.

Just very curious. Why would you say it is THAT unlikely, when I take into account my relatives. What do 'growing pains' actually signify?
Just very curious. Why would you say it is THAT unlikely, when I take into account my relatives. What do 'growing pains' actually signify?

I didn't say it is that unlikely. I only said that it's unlikely, meaning that it is not the most likely outcome. Besides, you're 23 so if you ever grow it will likely be insignificant.
I am not entirely sure if they are growing pains, because growing pains are meant to stop by age 12...
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by sufys
I didn't say it is that unlikely. I only said that it's unlikely, meaning that it is not the most likely outcome. Besides, you're 23 so if you ever grow it will likely be insignificant.
I am not entirely sure if they are growing pains, because growing pains are meant to stop by age 12...

Sure.. But seven years of not growing and then suddenly overnight being 0.5 inches taller is quite atypical. Absolutely, it is definitely not the most likely outcome. I never actually remembered having growing pains in my teens. Plenty of adults get growing pains, too. I was obviously asking because it seems to be coinciding with the growth I have been having.
Sure.. But seven years of not growing and then suddenly overnight being 0.5 inches taller is quite atypical. Absolutely, it is definitely not the most likely outcome. I never actually remembered having growing pains in my teens. Plenty of adults get growing pains, too. I was obviously asking because it seems to be coinciding with the growth I have been having.

Well, I don't know, and it's impossible to say whether one will grow or not with a degree of certainty. A few months down the line you'll see what happens.
As for growing pains: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/growing-pains/
As per the page itself, growing pains are not caused by growing.
:iiam:

Instead of focusing on what is out of your control, use your energy on things you can change, like your posture and the way you carry yourself. That actually has a greater impact than you think.

Iam sorry for asking, but if you don't mind what do you mean by growing pains? That's the first time I've heard of such a thing
Reply 10
Original post by Jessica Mn
Iam sorry for asking, but if you don't mind what do you mean by growing pains? That's the first time I've heard of such a thing

Growing pains a lot of the time don't have much to do with actual 'growing', weirdly. But, there is still a correlation.
Growing pains are most common at night-time and are found mostly amongst teens, but also amongst adults as well. The reason they are called 'growing' is because they are associated with teens who do nothing but grow (be it in terms of height or just musculature). Mine are not really painful, although the other day there was some throbbing feeling in my feet and as we speak, my legs feel a bit tingly, but generally they involve anything from throbbing pains to mild aches in the legs, either in the back or front of the knees, as well the feet or shins or thighs. They CAN be also assocaited with growing, because we grow at night-time, that is when HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is released, as you are sleeping.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest