The Student Room Group

Film & Television Studies at Glasgow University

Can anyone who has done this course please tell me if it is very academic/research / theory based, with little practical opportunities? I'm worried it's a bit niche and will be a bit dry in terms of analysing films once they are made, but not a lot about the actual, practical process of film/television making itself ? Any comments, thoughts and experience shared would be so appreciated! Also if you did this course recently, is there much in person teaching or group work happening yet? Thank you
Anything with "studies" in the course title is going to be strongly academic/theoretical but you will spend a lot of your time watching films and television programmes and analysing them. You could supplement this with extracurricular activities such as helping on short films or volunteering for student TV. Film and TV Studies is a fascinating subject to study - "dry" is the last word I'd use to describe it. There are some practical elements within the course but if that's what you're most interested in, maybe you should be looking at production degrees or courses that are more obviously 50/50 theory / practice.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EveIM
Can anyone who has done this course please tell me if it is very academic/research / theory based, with little practical opportunities? I'm worried it's a bit niche and will be a bit dry in terms of analysing films once they are made, but not a lot about the actual, practical process of film/television making itself ? Any comments, thoughts and experience shared would be so appreciated! Also if you did this course recently, is there much in person teaching or group work happening yet? Thank you

Hi @EveIM :h:

I study Film and Television Studies at UEA so thought I'd just pop a reply to this! If you haven't already, have a look and see if there is a list of the modules for each year of the course. That way you can guage how many opportunities there will be to incorporate practical elements! Alternatively there wouldn't be any harm in reaching out to the uni to ask them this directly so you can make a more informed choice with your applications.

My course is fairly academic, research and theory based with some great practical modules, but we have also focused on the way in which film and television is constructed with regards to cinematography, mise en scene etc which has all been really fun! So whilst it wasn't directly practical work, it was a theroretical look at the practical process! I'm wondering if maybe that is something that Glasgow incorporate as well?

Ultimately, a Studies degree can be significantly different to that of a Production degree, but there is some overlap too! I really do enjoy my course and I'm continually surprised by how much there is to think about and uncover theoretically. There are quite a few elements to it, and I really enjoy looking at audience reception personally! That, and the impact of film and television on society and also how society influences film and television.

If you have any questions at all, do feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to talk about it some more :h: wishing you all the best!

Danielle :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest