The Student Room Group

suspicious lump

Im a 16 year old female and I've recently found a lump/bump under my armpit. Its not very big , its skin coloured and pretty painless. I noticed it a couple of days ago and got in the bath today to find that its still there. It hasn't got bigger or smaller , its quite firm though. Im extremely worried but dont want to tell my mum or go to doctors until I know I need to. Has anyone experienced this and should I just wait to see if it goes on its own
Hi there young young lady; sorry to hear about this and that you are [naturally] concerned; at 16 it is unlikely to be anything serious; how many days since you first noticed it? Have you had any fever or any pain anywhere e.g. on your chest or any other symptoms?

However, this is not the place to ask about this symptom/sign - I WOULD URGE YOU TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ANYWAY SOON and to tell your mum - it is nothing to be ashamed of!

M
Reply 2
I had a similar lump under my chin once and was rly worried but it was just an inflamed lymph node from a bad cold. You have loads of lymph nodes in ur arm pits too so it is probs just that, but obvs go to the doctor anyway
Go to the doctor and make sure it's nothing to worry about. Don't take chances.
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi there young young lady; sorry to hear about this and that you are [naturally] concerned; at 16 it is unlikely to be anything serious; how many days since you first noticed it? Have you had any fever or any pain anywhere e.g. on your chest or any other symptoms?

However, this is not the place to ask about this symptom/sign - I WOULD URGE YOU TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR ANYWAY SOON and to tell your mum - it is nothing to be ashamed of!

M

I noticed it about 3 days ago and felt it today and it was still there. Ive been a little cold and had the sneezes but im prone to feeling cold and I have hayfever. My main worry is if its cancerous because I have family members who have suffered.
Thank you so much for the reply it means a lot! I think ill see how it is within the next week and if there's any changes ill tell my mum and go to the doctors. I usually put off telling my mum because she worries a lot like most mums do haha.
Get it checked out. Chances are it's probably nothing, but never ignore lumps.

I've had two lumps checked out over the past decade (a breast lump about 10 years ago, and a leg lump last month). Both were scanned, and both turned out to be nothing serious. It's always best to be safe rather than sitting and worrying about it.
Your mum would want you to tell her.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey hun,
i think that you should let your mum know and dont wait to go to the doctors, try to go as early as possible just to cool down your worries and make sure its nothing serious
Reply 7
Many many times you can get lumps in lymph nodes which are sited all over your body, in your head, neck, arm pits, abdomen, groin, your whole body is jammed pack full of them. When you get an infection they do their job by gobbling up infection as infection control centres but in the process they can swell up a bit.

I'm not sure how you found this little lump, whether by chance (it could have been there ages doing nothing) or by regular checking (well done you for keeping an eye on the 'normal' for you)

Either way do delight your doctor by getting it checked out as soon as tomorrow - Monday morning.
Ring, make an appointment (they will probably do a ring back) Someone will invite you for an appointment and take a look.
They will probably say 'oh it's all good, just a reaction to an infection' Then you might feel cheated for having been worried and stressed out so much unnecessarily.

A very quick check after that is to take a very small needle biopsy (just like getting a Covid jab) The lab staff will look at the cells under a microscope and tell you - yes inflammation as we thought or there are some suspicious cells there. If it is the latter they will say ok we need to have another look.

So right now you are stressing and worrying? I don't know why you are asking everyone else about what it might be because they can only guess and so can we. But none of us can give you the information you want to hear. You can do something about that - take your doctors advice. Whatever it is diagnosed to be will be outside of your control - because it is as it is. So you just have to take it a step at a time and wait for each stage. You will keep on living in between; life does not stop just because get a small lump and a doctors appointment.

The probability of it being something more serious like a cancer of any kind is very slim given your age. However you will be a joy to the medical profession if you get it checked early so please do it. The emotional pain in your head from worrying is far far worse than any physical pain you might experience and you are taking responsibility for your own health. That is a huge step (well done)

The plan is to take each stage as it arrives. No over thinking. Deal with each appointment as it arrives and do not look too far ahead. Reassure yourself you are doing everything practical that you can so there is no point wasting energy about 'what if's' Get the results, get reassured and you can get back to full living not stressing.

Please try and find someone close to you that you can confide in and talk to them about your health worries, share the worries and be there for you.

But with this one - you need a doctor to have a look and get it checked?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Im a 16 year old female and I've recently found a lump/bump under my armpit. Its not very big , its skin coloured and pretty painless. I noticed it a couple of days ago and got in the bath today to find that its still there. It hasn't got bigger or smaller , its quite firm though. Im extremely worried but dont want to tell my mum or go to doctors until I know I need to. Has anyone experienced this and should I just wait to see if it goes on its own

like some other people have said, sounds like a lymph node. go and ask to see your gp in person and get them to check you out.
Original post by Muttly

Either way do delight your doctor by getting it checked out as soon as tomorrow - Monday morning.
Ring, make an appointment (they will probably do a ring back) Someone will invite you for an appointment and take a look.
They will probably say 'oh it's all good, just a reaction to an infection' Then you might feel cheated for having been worried and stressed out so much unnecessarily.

A very quick check after that is to take a very small needle biopsy (just like getting a Covid jab) The lab staff will look at the cells under a microscope and tell you - yes inflammation as we thought or there are some suspicious cells there. If it is the latter they will say ok we need to have another look.

It would be GP appointment, then referral for a scan, and then a biopsy if necessary, but usually the scan is sufficient to rule anything sinister out.

I've had scans for lumps; they've never needed to go as far as doing a biopsy.

Quick Reply