Doing mixed methods - Should I have both a hypothesis and a research question?

Watch this thread
invisiblegirl04
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm doing mixed methods for my dissertation which I've never done before and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have both research questions and hypotheses or just one or the other? My supervisor is on leave until the date my research proposal is due in so I can't ask her and I've tried searching but can't seem to find the answer
academic authors
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by invisiblegirl04)
I'm doing mixed methods for my dissertation which I've never done before and I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have both research questions and hypotheses or just one or the other? My supervisor is on leave until the date my research proposal is due in so I can't ask her and I've tried searching but can't seem to find the answer
(Original post by invisiblegirl04)
having a research question by itself is just enough, whenever you include both hypothesis and research question in one research, the research methodology tends to automatically be vague and incorrect. the hypothesis/ research question should guide you in the research
invisiblegirl04
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by academic authors)
having a research question by itself is just enough, whenever you include both hypothesis and research question in one research, the research methodology tends to automatically be vague and incorrect. the hypothesis/ research question should guide you in the research
Hey thanks for responding!
So you're saying it's not a good idea to do both, is that right? Because when a hypotheses is for quants and a research question is for quals, I thought if I didn't have one for both considering I'm doing mixed methods am I not just ignoring part of the research?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (16)
18.39%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (30)
34.48%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.75%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.15%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
10.34%
Reading articles about what steps to take (17)
19.54%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
5.75%

Watched Threads