The Student Room Group

Defer uni? Resit?

Hi,
Long story short I’ve had a lot happening the past year leading to me not ready to go to university and 90% certain I will fail one, maybe to of my a-levels (or at least not get the grades I need by miles).

I want to defer entry as I have been offered places, but if I do end up resitting say one of my exams as an independent student, how does that work? Do I hold off applying to defer? Or can I ask to defer now and then on results day see what happens and go from there?

Thank you x
You cannot 'carry over' an offer to next year - only if you are accepted in August can your place be carried over as a defered place to 2023 entry.

You cannot hold a defered place and reapply. If you want to reapply for 5 new choices next year, then you have to cancel whatever place you then have and put in an entirely new UCAS application.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
You cannot 'carry over' an offer to next year - only if you are accepted in August can your place be carried over as a defered place to 2023 entry.

You cannot hold a defered place and reapply. If you want to reapply for 5 new choices next year, then you have to cancel whatever place you then have and put in an entirely new UCAS application.

so it is only on results day I can apply for deferral? What if I don’t get the required grades- do I just apply for a resit in the gap year then accept my offer providing I get the grades?
Original post by brionyvj
so it is only on results day I can apply for deferral? What if I don’t get the required grades- do I just apply for a resit in the gap year then accept my offer providing I get the grades?

1) You can ask to change your year of entry on your application to 2023 (defer) at any stage but Unis can say No so its best to ask now rather than Results Day.
2) If you are rejected on Results Day because you didnt get the grades, it wont matter if you have deferred or not, or when you did it - with that application you are not going anywhere because you have been rejected. And Clearing is only for 2022 entry. If you want to go in 2023 you will then have to wait until the next academic and reapply.
3) As above you can't carry-over a rejected application. Only if you are accepted on Results Day could you hold a defered place for 2023 rentry.

What Happens on Results Day - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending