The Student Room Group

Nexplanon

My period used to be 7/8 days of fairly heavy bleeding (I'm 18). Had the Nexplanon implant put in my arm about a month ago, started my period around 14 days ago but it's been small amounts of weird brown/dark red discharge everyday since... have googled that this is normal for the first few months of being on the implant but just want to double check if anyone else has experienced this/ if I should go to the doctor about it or whatever.
Seems to have almost stopped today although I did think that a few times throughout before it picked up again.
Me and my boyfriend have had sex like 4 times overall, and there haven't really been any issues except last time (yesterday) I bled on the condom but I thought I had basically finished the whole bleeding thing otherwise I would have said no (boyfriend has been really helpful and caring).
The bleeding became a brighter red after that but it has died down again since, does this sound normal-ish or like something I need to talk to someone professional about? Am in the middle of my A-Levels so don't really want to see someone atm lol
Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
My period used to be 7/8 days of fairly heavy bleeding (I'm 18). Had the Nexplanon implant put in my arm about a month ago, started my period around 14 days ago but it's been small amounts of weird brown/dark red discharge everyday since... have googled that this is normal for the first few months of being on the implant but just want to double check if anyone else has experienced this/ if I should go to the doctor about it or whatever.
Seems to have almost stopped today although I did think that a few times throughout before it picked up again.
Me and my boyfriend have had sex like 4 times overall, and there haven't really been any issues except last time (yesterday) I bled on the condom but I thought I had basically finished the whole bleeding thing otherwise I would have said no (boyfriend has been really helpful and caring).
The bleeding became a brighter red after that but it has died down again since, does this sound normal-ish or like something I need to talk to someone professional about? Am in the middle of my A-Levels so don't really want to see someone atm lol
Cheers.

I'm not sure what nexplaon is but you can go to the doctors and discuss the issues/side effects you are having. Also you can keep a diary as evidence to see if any issues reoccur again.
I'm only 14 but I hope my advice helps.
Original post by Anonymous
Cheers.

The best thing to do if you have any concerns about the implant is to discuss it with your own GP.
Like most birth control there's risk's of some side effects.
Have a look at the NHS website on the issue of your colour of discharge - details below.

I'm not a doctor but I'm a NHS registered midwife but I will leave any concerns to your doctor to discuss with you.

https://www.nhs.uk conditions v...
Vaginal discharge - NHS

What are the most common side effects of Nexplanon........
Common side effects may include:
pain where the implant was inserted;
changes in your menstrual periods;
vaginal itching or discharge;
acne, mood changes, weight gain;
back pain, menstrual cramps;
nausea, stomach pain;
breast pain;
headache, dizziness; or.

Quick Reply

Latest