Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Any band with 'The' in their name sucks" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I find this rule quite useful when it comes to music. 'The' bands suck, do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    "The" Beatles
    "The" Rolling Stones

'fraid not.

ReputationRep:
    The Script doesn't suck :no:

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe that The Smiths "suck".

ReputationRep:
    The Smiths, The Libertines, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols...

Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Keane, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Coldplay...

So, no, I don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    "The" Beatles, however, suck!

ReputationRep:
    Poor show, sir.

ReputationRep:
    mostly agree

ReputationRep:
    Basically if a band is using 'the' it means they are trying to project the personalities of the band. It should never be like that, it needs to be more subtle.

ReputationRep:
    The red hot chilli peppers. The beatles. The Jackson five. The clash............

ReputationRep:
    The Damned
    The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
    The Beat
    The Cure
    The Dhol Foundation
    The Doors
    The Dresden Dolls
    The Stooges

etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    But I like the Fratellis...

ReputationRep:
    It does sound pretty unoriginal - I agree.
    But as far as THE BEATLES are concerned - NOOO WAY. How on earth can they suck?

EDIT: Oh my God.

The Jackson 5 DO NOT SUCK!

If I look at my current last.fm Top 50, I get The Pussycat Dolls (perhaps not the kind of 'the' group you're on about), The Ditty Bops, The Bird And The Bee, The Dixie Cups, The Mighty Terror & His Calypsonians, The Legendary Pink Dots and The Mamas & The Papas.

That's a whole lot of greatness right there.

ReputationRep:
    I just looked down my last.fm page, and it's true there are very few artists on it whose name begins with "The". But there are some...

The Dresden Dolls (I think a lot of people think they suck, but I love them)
    The Smashing Pumpkins

ReputationRep:
    Said already, but: The Smiths!!

ReputationRep:
    I have a very good example of a band with 'the' in their name and they suck: The Saturdays :yy:

(Original post by SofinaaBabess)
    I have a very good example of a band with 'the' in their name and they suck: The Saturdays :yy:
    The Saturdays don't count; they don't play any instruments.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. With newer bands I agree that they often use 'The' to promote a certain image about themselves, and I think that sometimes the 'The' is trying to cover up some crappy music but this is generally with post 2000 bands. Since 2005 maybe. Basically from the point in time where every genre of music became 'indie' in some kind of sense.

You can pretty much guarantee that that new band 'The _______ ' whose first album release just climbed 15 places up the charts to the number 2 spot in one week and is being played on Capital fm non-stop is generic to the max and crap.

ReputationRep:
    the nirvana

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.