Turn on thread page Beta

"Any band with 'The' in their name sucks" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menagerie)
    Nope. With newer bands I agree that they often use 'The' to promote a certain image about themselves, and I think that sometimes the 'The' is trying to cover up some crappy music but this is generally with post 2000 bands. Since 2005 maybe. Basically from the point in time where every genre of music became 'indie' in some kind of sense.

You can pretty much guarantee that that new band 'The _______ ' whose first album release just climbed 15 places up the charts to the number 2 spot in one week and is being played on Capital fm non-stop is generic to the max and crap.
    Boring overdiscussed post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    Boring overdiscussed post.
    Haha thanks. If we're giving feedback, yours was succinct, but a fragment.

ReputationRep:
    The Jam.

Well that's that 'rule' proven wrong, next!

ReputationRep:
    I like the way people have quoted apparantly "legend" bands as a refute to the OP. Like "The RHCP" and "The Rolling Stones".

So what? RHCP have sounded the same for DECADES, and I truly mean that. Their music just never changes, it has bored me to tears. Every song is just composed of nonsensical lyrics (I can't relate to any of their lyrics, they just mean NOTHING), and not even in a deep way like other bands which don't at first make sense. Just so naff.

As for the rolling stones, you must be joking. Talentless load of ********. They only made it because they seemed like a bit of a "bad boy" alternative to stuff like the Beatles, a bit "off the hook". Oh wow. At the end of the day, rubber lips could only re-invent himself so many times, he can't sing, and the daft old has-beens are still trying to make it work today, wrinkles included.

Oh, and The Sex Pistols? You must be joking.

OP is largely right. A few exceptions, but I generally agree.

ReputationRep:
    the killers

ReputationRep:
    The Killers suck?

Oh dear! And looking at the other examples named above i say Oh dear i few more times!

ReputationRep:
    The Kinks don't suck!

ReputationRep:
    'The the' made one of my very favourite albums!

ReputationRep:
    The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus...

I quite like their songs, but they have a stupid name.

so the band called 'the thes' suck like majorly

ReputationRep:
    I love The Carpenters! :p: Even though they're old... they are good :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned this already, but...

The Who sure as **** don't suck!

ReputationRep:
    Daft comment, the beatles, the rolling stones, the smiths the libertines all are historic bands, then you get bands like the kaiser chiefs.... rest my case?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Keziah)
    I just looked down my last.fm page, and it's true there are very few artists on it whose name begins with "The". But there are some...

The Dresden Dolls (I think a lot of people think they suck, but I love them)
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    I love The Dresden Dolls! :love: You have good taste!

ReputationRep:
    I think The Smiths, The Strokes, The Organ, The Knife, The Postal Service, Le Tigre (does that count as 'the'? :p:), The Cure and many others disprove that particular theory.

ReputationRep:
    erm...
    THE beatles
    THE rolling stones.......................... .........................?!?!?!? !?!?!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    It is just a lie simply.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I mostly agree, there are a lot of indie bands with 'The' in their name, and I'm not a fan of indie, so, it's a good rule of thumb really :p: Obviously, it doesn't apply to e v e r y band that has 'the' in their name.

ReputationRep:
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by led_zep_amh(121191))
    I can't believe nobody's mentioned this already, but...

The Who sure as **** don't suck!
    You got there before me :p: I saw them live in 2006, they sure as hell don't suck.

Also, The Beautiful South.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.