Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Any band with 'The' in their name sucks" Watch

ReputationRep:
    No i dont agree these bands are great:
    The saturdays & yes they play instruments i saw them play in Leeds yesterday
    The script (Great band)
    The killers
    The kooks
    & Theres more but theres so many

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on your own taste in music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0129Hippy)
    The red hot chilli peppers. The beatles. The Jackson five. The clash............
    There's no 'the' for Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    I don't think I really like any bands with 'the' in the name...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Whilst this is true in the case of The Beatles, I think it fails in the case of The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Chemical Brothers and The Holloways.
    :eyebrow:

Stupid? I think soo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofinaaBabess)
    :eyebrow:

Stupid? I think soo.
    Watch me care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misshape)
    The Smiths, The Libertines, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols...

Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Keane, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Coldplay...

So, no, I don't agree.
    All those you've listed as "the"s do in fact suck.

ReputationRep:
    The Clash, The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster, The Cure, The B-52's, The Chemical Brothers, The Kinks, The Prodigy, The Cramps, The Offspring (well at the beginning of their career they certainly had "the", not sure about new stuff, but their early stuff is pretty legendary... i.e Smash album), The Jam, The Cooper Temple Clause, The Bloodhound Gang, The Bronx, The Doors, The Germs (okay, a lot of you might not agree but they were certainly something lol :P), The Hives, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Specials, The Undertones... the list is endless.... OP, you have been defeated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainlumpy)
    The Clash, The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster, The Cure, The B-52's, The Chemical Brothers, The Kinks, The Prodigy, The Cramps, The Offspring (well at the beginning of their career they certainly had "the", not sure about new stuff, but their early stuff is pretty legendary... i.e Smash album), The Jam, The Cooper Temple Clause, The Bloodhound Gang, The Bronx, The Doors, The Germs (okay, a lot of you might not agree but they were certainly something lol :P), The Hives, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Specials, The Undertones... the list is endless.... OP, you have been defeated.
    Thank god for that, I was starting to think I was the only person on here to have heard of them!

ReputationRep:
    Whew, I'm surprised that I'm getting many responses that are reinforcing my theory.

I'd like to interject here and say that 'The Beatles' may not suck as much, but they pretty much do suck quite bad when it comes to an overall view of their discography.

ReputationRep:
    A name doesn't necessarily reflect or represent a bands performance and how good they are, tbh, so no:p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, out of my personal tastes (in no particular order):

The White Stripes, The Arcade Fire, The Strokes, The Raconteurs, The Cardigans, The Subways, The Zutons, The Zico Chain, Pete & The Pirates, The Maccabees,
    The Cure, The Clash, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, ....

VS.

Kings of Leon, Art Brut, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Placebo, Lostprophets, Muse, Bloc Party, Maximo Park, Vampire Weekend, Editors, Coldplay, Keane, Eric Clapton, Santana...

... To be honest, I don't think the presence of the word "The" makes any difference to their level of quality. Both groups are good, although those in the "The" group have a more clearly defined style.

Edit - I like so many bands that I'm going to be adding to this list all day, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    The Strokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Whew, I'm surprised that I'm getting many responses that are reinforcing my theory.

I'd like to interject here and say that 'The Beatles' may not suck as much, but they pretty much do suck quite bad when it comes to an overall view of their discography.
    Could you then specify what you do deem 'good' in terms of bands so that everyone can start launching their attacks on your taste in music.

ReputationRep:
    :O i am shocked.

what about the specials?!

ReputationRep:
    The Hoosiers.

/thread wins :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The Aggrolites
    The Arrivals
    The Avalanches
    The Bomb
    The Bouncing Souls
    The Copyrights
    The Cure
    The Don Ramos Players
    The Ergs
    The Fad
    The Fiery Furnaces
    The Flaming Tsunamis
    The Flatliners
    The Gaslight Anthem
    The Get Up Kids
    The Hotlines
    The Lawrence Arms
    The Leftovers
    The Lillingtons
    The Menzingers
    The Methadones
    The Movielife
    The Pseudo Superheroes
    The Queers
    The Ramones
    The Riot Before
    The Riverdales
    The ****** Limits
    The Smiths
    The Steal
    The Steinways
    The Suicide Machines
    The Terrordactyls
    The Unlovables

definitely don't suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    I think The Smiths, The Strokes, The Organ, The Knife, The Postal Service, Le Tigre (does that count as 'the'? :p:), The Cure and many others disprove that particular theory.
    Le tigre rules
    shame no one knows them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dobba)
    Thank god for that, I was starting to think I was the only person on here to have heard of them!
    Haha same! I was rather scared when I was scanning through the posts to try and find if anyone else had mentioned them. Anyway, I hardly think a name correlates with a band's success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainlumpy)
    Haha same! I was rather scared when I was scanning through the posts to try and find if anyone else had mentioned them. Anyway, I hardly think a name correlates with a band's success.
    Oh it's always good to find someone else who appreciates proper music! I swear I was born about 30 years too late sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    Good bands from the last decade or so that I can think of off the top of my head:
    The Organ, The Knife, The Decemberists, The Strokes, The Killers, The Postal Service, The Moldy Peaches.
    Aside from The Strokes, I don't think any of them are particularly good. But as I said, there are exceptions to every rule.

But the vast majority of bands rom the past decade with "the" in their name are *****. This then becomes 99.9% if you narrow it down to bands your average person on the street would have heard of.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.