Universities bribing applicants with money?

Watch this thread
Oacio
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have a friend who's applied to Birmingham and apparently, they've been told if they firm their course they'll be given £1,000. Is that even allowed? I mean I've heard of some smaller universities doing it, but I'm shocked that a Russel group university has to use an incentive to get students.
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Birmingham is notorious for doing what they can to fill their places, offering huge swaths of unconditional places too so it doesn't surprise me one bit
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Oacio)
I have a friend who's applied to Birmingham and apparently, they've been told if they firm their course they'll be given £1,000. Is that even allowed? I mean I've heard of some smaller universities doing it, but I'm shocked that a Russel group university has to use an incentive to get students.
Its really a quitk of the system, students get charged £27,750ish for 3 years yet charging £24,750 as an incentive would do nothing as the students never see the cash (and often have no intention of paying it back) so they just charge full whack and give them the cash bqck as something that can go straight in their pocket…

as for a Russell Group playing the game Birmingham has been well known to give out low-ball offers and things in the past so it’s not exactly surprising. Also RG universities don’t automatically get a high yield as a matter of fact, generally a lot of how popular a course is is more to do with the subject/field generally (every year law/economics/medicine are over subscribed but plenty of courses have vacant capacity…)
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
yeh I know a friend who applied for engineering who has someone from UoB constantly calling her(she had to block them), offering to reduce the entry requirements to firm them. they must be desperate.
Last edited by Obolinda; 2 months ago
DryTowel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Don't see it why it wouldn't be allowed. Morally, how is it different from offering scholarships to incentivise students?
University of Birmingham
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oacio)
Hi Oacio, is this in reference to one of our scholarships? - Molly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (64)
68.82%
In the post (3)
3.23%
Text (13)
13.98%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.98%

Watched Threads