Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Those at uni, particularly 2nd and 3rd years.. watch

ReputationRep:
    I asked particularly 2nd and 3rd years cause you have more experience in uni though 1st years can still contribute!

What is the work load like at uni?
    I know like different subjects differ in work load but it is a big jump for A level?
    How are you guys coping atm? Do you have to find alot of the work yourself? Is it hard to get help or information you need to find?
    Even though your timetables are shortened from A level to uni is it still a considerable amount of work?

Alot of questions i know, just curious about uni really especially with work, im just worried that i won't be able to cope and won't get alot of help. I especially want to do law so yeah!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Really depends what subject you are doing. For example, Law and Medicine require much more work than Events Management or stuff like that.

Yes it is a fair old jump from A Level - but again, depends on the subject and whether you are required to do essays or practical assessments.

I am finding second year law much more of a work load than first year but then again, I have a few extra ciricular committments.

Timetables are not as busy, but you are required to make up the hours doing private study and reading around your modules.

If you want to do law then just be prepared to work hard for it - first year you don't have to work too hard, but I did, and it is good practice for when years 2 and 3 come!

What A Levels have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Really depends what subject you are doing. For example, Law and Medicine require much more work than Events Management or stuff like that.

Yes it is a fair old jump from A Level - but again, depends on the subject and whether you are required to do essays or practical assessments.

I am finding second year law much more of a work load than first year but then again, I have a few extra ciricular committments.

Timetables are not as busy, but you are required to make up the hours doing private study and reading around your modules.

If you want to do law then just be prepared to work hard for it - first year you don't have to work too hard, but I did, and it is good practice for when years 2 and 3 come!

What A Levels have you done?

Yeah i guessed law would be much harder than other subjects
    Is it true that in your 1st year it doesnt contribute to your degree?
    Psychology, law and sociology. Hardly 'traditional' subjects i know..
    What uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fazza123)
    No it doesn't, but employers can still make a decision based on your first year result and ask why you didn't do so well!

You need to pass the first year (40% +) to progress to the second year though.

ReputationRep:
    thnx, ill bare that in mind!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what course you're doing and at what uni. My first year counts towards my degree.

ReputationRep:
    I asked particularly 2nd and 3rd years cause you have more experience in uni though 1st years can still contribute!

What is the work load like at uni?
    I know like different subjects differ in work load but it is a big jump for A level?
    How are you guys coping atm? Do you have to find alot of the work yourself? Is it hard to get help or information you need to find?
    Even though your timetables are shortened from A level to uni is it still a considerable amount of work?

Alot of questions i know, just curious about uni really especially with work, im just worried that i won't be able to cope and won't get alot of help. I especially want to do law so yeah!
    Thanks
    The work load will completely vary from course to course. I can't tell you about the jump from A-Level to degree level, but in final year I'm just about coping with the many hours and plenty of stress. I have 12 or so formal hours in uni a week, and around 40-50 of my own time, but there's plenty of support available if I want it - it's never too hard to find what I need if I put the effort in.

ReputationRep:
    The work load is quite high in the 3rd year as you'll also have a project. A level and uni study require different techniques. There is generally a lot more coursework for uni than A level although this does depend on the course. This can be advantageous for some e.g. the utilisation of resources such as lecturers to enhance your grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synthpopx)
    It depends what course you're doing and at what uni. My first year counts towards my degree.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, I have 24 hours a week of class But I do 5 subjects this semester. Looks like aussie unis are more hours based. However if I were to do a commerce/business degree i'd only have around 12 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guessed law would be much harder than other subjects
    Psychology, law and sociology. Hardly 'traditional' subjects i know..
    What uni are you at?
    It can do - I'm at King's and my first year results count for one sixth of my degree. Not a lot, no, but as Aack said, employers see this. Well, if you're doing law anyway, as we apply for vac schemes/mini pupillages in year two, and then training contracts/pupillages, and so all they have to look at are our exam results so far and predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 3rd year English at Leeds. We only have 5 hours a week but an immense set of reading lists, important essays to write etc. People often suggest that English students should take their crayons and felt pens to uni, how wrong can they be!
    The work load is tough and you have to be prepared to stay in when all of your friends on lighter courses (such as communications etc) are going out partying.

While I only have 5/6 hours a week I think i'd rather have 20 hours in uni and less to do when I get home.

I wasn't prepared to work this hard at university if i'm telling the truth and it's not all one big party. At least it shouldn't be if you want to do well.
    Definitely worth it though and I wouldn't change a thing. Except perhaps my course lol but that's only because I preferred psychology to English.

ReputationRep:
    Im on the second year of my course at the moment, and although the marks from my first year dont count towards my over all degree mark I did had alot of work to do.
    That was until I started this year
    I have 16-20 hours a week of lectures, plus seminars etc and I have 4 essays due in in a month, 2 exams and 3 presentations all before christmas.
    Its an awful lot harder than I thought and im on a course that people say is 'easy' or a 'waste of time'. Its so not easy!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 2nd year of Geography and Earth Science.
    I have 9 hours of lectures a week and 9 hours of labs and tutorials. It ain't too bad but you do have to put a lot of work in on your own to understand the material fully enough to get decent grades.

My gawd - my first year was crazy and this year is absolutely bonkers! . . . Im doing Criminology and Sociology - this past week has been mad, iv had minimal sleep, im run down and im behind on work even though I am trying hard to catch up. Im in Uni 3days a week so really should have lots of time to catch up, however I just seem to not organising my time properly and not being strict on myself.

My advice: make sure you get into a good solid routine and make sure you keep on top of the work, once you fall behind, you have a devils own job trying to catch up with everyone else in your class.

ReputationRep:
    3rd year Geologist, Keele.

Hurrendous. 10 hours/week of lectures, but so much dissertation to do its unreal. I'm behind. Badly.

ReputationRep:
    First year mathematics student. 20 hours of lectures, and 4 problem sheets per week. Approx 40-60hours work per week (depends how hard the problem sheets are really), but its not set out properly, so some days I won't do much, whereas others I'll be working from 9AM till 4AM the next day. Done around 20-5hours in the last two days, but that was catching up on the work I should of done during reading week :p: Hard days are thursdays, sundays, and mondays, because problem classes are the next day.

I think its partly because I'm behind though. I took a gap year, and didn't do any maths at all until a few days before leaving for uni. Consequentially, I don't understand all the stuff I did at A level, which makes understanding the stuff I do now difficult. Once I start understanding things during lectures, doing problem sheets shouldn't be as difficult.

Anyway, A level is a stroll in the park in comparison. Seriously, my god, A level was so bloody easy in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology at Sheffield Hallam, 2nd year.

My God, I really wish they prepared us better for second/third year in our first year last year they gave us hardly any reading to do, and the assignments were pretty minimal tbh (although the ones they did give us were either due in about a week before exams started or the same time as about 5 other assignments) this year there's so much reading to do, I have assignments coming out of my ears and exams in January...argh!

I have about 10 hours in Uni a week this semester, it changes to about 16-18 after xmas.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year psychology student. I have 20 hours conatact time made up of lectures, seminars and labs. I'm in 5 days a week . There's lots of work to do, running your own experiments and tracking down participants is tough. First year was hard aswell though. A lot of people say first year is a doss but first and 2nd year have been pretty similar in terms of toughness. I had 20 hours last year aswell plus i have exams throughout the academic year e.g. Novemeber, January, February, April, May instead of just in the summer which is a pain.

The first year also counted towards my degree, this is quote common for a lot of subects at UCL. It really depends on what course and which uni. I know people who do my course at other uni's and have much less contact time and much less work.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    This thread scares me and makes me not want to go to university any more!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.