Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I left after first tuition fee payment... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...from the Student Loans Company, which I believe is in February, would I have to pay them back? They wouldn't get a refund from the university if I left at that stage, so would they get me to pay them, and by when?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes you would have to pay them back, and I think you can wait till you're earning over 15K a year.
    I was told this when I dropped out of Liverpool Uni last year in November.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you have to pay it back, they're not a money tree.

ReputationRep:
    synthpopx, I know that's true of the maintenance loan, but is it definitely true of the tuition fee loan as well? Just want to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synthpopx)
    Yes you would have to pay them back, and I think you can wait till you're earning over 15K a year.
    I was told this when I dropped out of Liverpool Uni last year in November.
    I'm just about to drop out of Liverpool uni. They havn't really told me much so far about the situation with regards to my fee's. If you dont mind me asking what happened with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LO :))
    I'm just about to drop out of Liverpool uni. They havn't really told me much so far about the situation with regards to my fee's. If you dont mind me asking what happened with you?
    Well I had to notify the main office near the Union. They gave me a form which I had to have signed by the acommodation office and my course tutor.
    I then had to fill out this form which is on the student loans website and get my tutor to sign that too. I'd recommend getting your tutor to sign that before you leave as I didn't and it was a lot of hassle getting in touch with them and sending the forms back and forth.
    And that's it really. Wasn't too bad, then leave as soon as you can.

(Original post by roseblood)
    synthpopx, I know that's true of the maintenance loan, but is it definitely true of the tuition fee loan as well? Just want to be sure.
    I'm not sure if it's true for all universities. But yes I was told I'd have to pay back half the fees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.