London

anyone going to lse in 2022?

What course? Which accomodation?

Scroll to see replies

law, bankside
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
maths and economics, carr saunders. Wbu?
Original post by DryTowel

ispp and economics. not yet booked accommodation!
Icl you should book asap if its an option coz lots of the best accom is getting full. Like im pretty sure bankside is already fully booked. U from the uk?
Icl you should book asap if its an option coz lots of the best accom is getting full. Like im pretty sure bankside is already fully booked. U from the uk?

Yes. I’m not really interested in Bankside/Carr because I don’t want to be catered. I’d rather have a kitchen where you can cook your own food.

Quite a few options are still available, but I’m just weighing up pros/cons atm.
Econ, passfield
Hi, I'm in year 12 doing AS and looking to maths and Econ at LSE. I wanted to apply for pure Econ but I realised its very difficult to get into and I really enjoy maths as well so I want to do maths and Econ.
Do you have like any tips for PS (I hear that LSE has a strong preference on ps), books I should read, extra curricular. Im applying for pure Econ everywhere so im unsure on how to structure it. I haven't done much wider reading so far as I want to focus on strong predicted grades so I plan to do a lot over the summer. Would you also recommend sitting the TMUA as it says on the requirements page a good score might help. Thanks.
Data science reserved college halls but would like garden halls ? Any suggestions?
Original post by dh33r4j_d
Hi, I'm in year 12 doing AS and looking to maths and Econ at LSE. I wanted to apply for pure Econ but I realised its very difficult to get into and I really enjoy maths as well so I want to do maths and Econ.
Do you have like any tips for PS (I hear that LSE has a strong preference on ps), books I should read, extra curricular. Im applying for pure Econ everywhere so im unsure on how to structure it. I haven't done much wider reading so far as I want to focus on strong predicted grades so I plan to do a lot over the summer. Would you also recommend sitting the TMUA as it says on the requirements page a good score might help. Thanks.

Yes, do the TMUA. You don't lose anything- if you mess up just don't send your marks in lol and it made A level maths way easier for me, so its a win win.

For the PS, if I were you I'd do 50/50 maths/economics because they're looking for a candidate with an interest in both subjects. I managed to secure a UCL offer for pure econ despite my PS being half maths so it won't sabotage your other applications, but definitely think about how much you care about LSE vs the other unis you're applying to.

Prioritising predicted grades now is a good plan, I don't have any particular reading advice except don't include the cliche books like the Economist or Freakonomics unless you have a unique interpretation or comment about them. LSE will be reading so many PSs so make yours memorable by perhaps including some more interesting books by delving deeper into different branches of economics (e.g. micro, development etc).
Yes, do the TMUA. You don't lose anything- if you mess up just don't send your marks in lol and it made A level maths way easier for me, so its a win win.

For the PS, if I were you I'd do 50/50 maths/economics because they're looking for a candidate with an interest in both subjects. I managed to secure a UCL offer for pure econ despite my PS being half maths so it won't sabotage your other applications, but definitely think about how much you care about LSE vs the other unis you're applying to.

Prioritising predicted grades now is a good plan, I don't have any particular reading advice except don't include the cliche books like the Economist or Freakonomics unless you have a unique interpretation or comment about them. LSE will be reading so many PSs so make yours memorable by perhaps including some more interesting books by delving deeper into different branches of economics (e.g. micro, development etc).

Thanks for the advice. I’m unsure of it being 50/50 cause I want try to try for econ at Cambridge (probs won’t get in but as u sit the tmua for both I still want to try and I think they put more emphasis on the tmua and the interview anyway.
For the maths bit of the ps - did u read maths books or like participate in competitions cause I’m confident in writing about economics but I’m just unsure about the maths bit.
For the TMUA is there like a target score for LS? Cause I hear getting 6.5 is in the top third of candidates and I’ve been doing some past paper questions and it takes quite a lot of time for me to get the answer but hopefully I get better with lots of practice.
Thanks for the advice. I’m unsure of it being 50/50 cause I want try to try for econ at Cambridge (probs won’t get in but as u sit the tmua for both I still want to try and I think they put more emphasis on the tmua and the interview anyway.
For the maths bit of the ps - did u read maths books or like participate in competitions cause I’m confident in writing about economics but I’m just unsure about the maths bit.
For the TMUA is there like a target score for LS? Cause I hear getting 6.5 is in the top third of candidates and I’ve been doing some past paper questions and it takes quite a lot of time for me to get the answer but hopefully I get better with lots of practice.

Aim for the best mark possible for TMUA. Decent score is 6.5+, you should be aiming for that at the bare minimum by the time you're sitting the exam. Don't worry about your current level though, I got 20% in a practice paper a few weeks before the exam 😂 but ended up with a 6.7 when I actually sat it in November.

For Cambridge, they gave me an interview (didn't get an offer because I bombed the interview lmao) even with only 50% of my PS about econ. As you said, its more about admissions score + interview.

For maths, don't write about books unless you really understood what you read. They'll know you're lying if you say you read and understood a book on stochastic calculus. Better to include maths competitions or just discuss a problem you found hard and how you managed to work it out. You want to demonstrate that you enjoy doing maths, not just reading maths.
Thanks so much :0 This is reassuring lmao cause I just finished my AS and like my schools gonna start all the talk about PS and university course and that stuff - really wanna go like LSE/Cambridge/UCL. How much prep did u do for the tmua over the summer and when did u finish ur ps by. Also if u dont mind what were ur subjects and predicted (sorry to be asking so much ur the first person I have found who applied for pure Econ elsewhere and maths and Econ at LSE lol).
Aim for the best mark possible for TMUA. Decent score is 6.5+, you should be aiming for that at the bare minimum by the time you're sitting the exam. Don't worry about your current level though, I got 20% in a practice paper a few weeks before the exam 😂 but ended up with a 6.7 when I actually sat it in November.

For Cambridge, they gave me an interview (didn't get an offer because I bombed the interview lmao) even with only 50% of my PS about econ. As you said, its more about admissions score + interview.

For maths, don't write about books unless you really understood what you read. They'll know you're lying if you say you read and understood a book on stochastic calculus. Better to include maths competitions or just discuss a problem you found hard and how you managed to work it out. You want to demonstrate that you enjoy doing maths, not just reading maths.
Thanks so much :0 This is reassuring lmao cause I just finished my AS and like my schools gonna start all the talk about PS and university course and that stuff - really wanna go like LSE/Cambridge/UCL. How much prep did u do for the tmua over the summer and when did u finish ur ps by. Also if u dont mind what were ur subjects and predicted (sorry to be asking so much ur the first person I have found who applied for pure Econ elsewhere and maths and Econ at LSE lol).

Haha did 0 over the summer for TMUA. Like I said, I got 20% in the first practice paper I did... (didn't start preparing until mid/late September). Tbh I have no idea how I clutched it in the end. Also didn't start the PS till September, didn't finish it until mid October (another mistake). Ofc, don't do what I did and be more organised.

Predicted A*A*A*A Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics. Didn't do Econ lol. Just bang ur predicted and enjoy your summer. GL
Haha did 0 over the summer for TMUA. Like I said, I got 20% in the first practice paper I did... (didn't start preparing until mid/late September). Tbh I have no idea how I clutched it in the end. Also didn't start the PS till September, didn't finish it until mid October (another mistake). Ofc, don't do what I did and be more organised.

Predicted A*A*A*A Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics. Didn't do Econ lol. Just bang ur predicted and enjoy your summer. GL

Thanks so much! Good luck with ur a levels and LSE:smile:
Reply 15

Can i by any chance ask what ur predicted grades were and ur tmua score because I am also applying to the same course?
Original post by Hsuwi
Can i by any chance ask what ur predicted grades were and ur tmua score because I am also applying to the same course?

TMUA 6.7 predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, Further M, History and Physics. lmk if u need any more help with ur applications.
Reply 17
TMUA 6.7 predicted A*A*A*A in Maths, Further M, History and Physics. lmk if u need any more help with ur applications.

oh right thanks so much. I've just read all ur replies to the other person asking the same things as me! I've just got one more question for the personal statement: did u include any special like taster days u went to, any MOOCS or courses or did u do the UKMT challenge because I had covid then so I couldn't do it and I feel like my ps will be disadvantaged because of it.
Original post by Hsuwi
oh right thanks so much. I've just read all ur replies to the other person asking the same things as me! I've just got one more question for the personal statement: did u include any special like taster days u went to, any MOOCS or courses or did u do the UKMT challenge because I had covid then so I couldn't do it and I feel like my ps will be disadvantaged because of it.

didnt mention any taster days, idk what MOOCS is but i guess casually mentioning something like that would only help. i did do the ukmt and used it to show how i enjoyed problem solving. you shouldn't worry though- it is by no means essential and you should just find something else that you can use to provide evidence of your interest in maths outside the classroom.
What revision resources did you use to prepare for the tmua, other than past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending