Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks NorthLondon! Has anyone out there heard anything for clinical biochem in the West Mids??????

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just found this forum! :-) I've also applied for this but for the medical physics training scheme. I have got an interview at one of my centres but not heard from the others. I'm sorry to hear about your applications noangel, I had done the same as you and double checked with northgate that they had sent my applications on and got the same email from them as you. I was told to do this on an open day as they said that they had previously had problems and got sent incomplete application forms. I thought I was ok but I'm now considering checking with my other centres that they actually received my application as even though I know got it, it doesn't mean that they all did!
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard from West Mids or Cambridge yet.

I spent 6 months working in a Clinical Biochem lab (albeit 10 years ago!) which I think helped my application. So I was able to mention all the projects I worked on whilst I was there. Also I have a PhD and have been a postdoc for nearly 5 years. As a result I've loads of lab experience, published papers and I've given seminars at international conferences. I think all this probably helped. However, having said that, a friend of mine got into Clinical Biochemisty straight out of her degree, so they obviously do take people without much experience. I think it's mainly just showing you have the academic ability and putting across your commitment to the career in the additional info section. I think volunteering in a lab - maybe just for a week or two - would go a long way towards showing commitment.

ReputationRep:
    So I got some more information from Reading today. Apparently the interview day will contain group discussions, and i need to give a 10minute presentation on exciting new developments in audiology. Oh joy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_angel)
    So I got some more information from Reading today. Apparently the interview day will contain group discussions, and i need to give a 10minute presentation on exciting new developments in audiology. Oh joy.

Hi Anna, how did you find out about what's going on in the interview at Reading - I kinda assumed that if there was something specific to research that they would let me know! They are having at least 2 interview days - I had to change from the 22nd to 23rd because of work.

Pretty frikkin stressed, and fairly sure that I'm not going to hear anything from Manc, Sheff or Brighton now!

ReputationRep:
    They emailed me the information today. They'll probably email you too shortly. NoAngel said sheffield are still shortlisting. Haven't heard from either them nor Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_angel)
    Hi Anna,

I applied for audiology at Reading too and got the same information yesterday...group discussions and 10min presentation. I also applied to Portsmouth and haven't heard from them either yet so hopefully they are still looking through the applications. Fingers crossed! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Heard back from 2/3 labs I applied for and havent been successful in getting an interview
    Fingers crossed I hear back from the last one which is the one I really want to get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahfal86)
    Heard back from 2/3 labs I applied for and havent been successful in getting an interview
    Fingers crossed I hear back from the last one which is the one I really want to get!
    Were these for molecular genetics or cytogenetics? and which labs? Also, how did you hear? I'm getting nervous now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northlondon)
    I got a letter today from Cambridge saying that I have an interview there on the 20th. I'm starting to get a bit stressed now thinking about these large panels of people doing the interviewing - I've never had an interview with more than two people before. Does anyone here have any experience of interviews with 6-8 people? Any tips?
    Yikes is that what they said is in your interview? Mine is "informal" with just 2 people, and I have to take some work. I'm so glad it's not a big panel think I'd just walk in and straight out again if that was the case!

On NoAngel's advice I emailed the labs I hadn't heard from, and I hadn't got interviews but I did get good feedback on my application. Unlike most of you (it seems) I applied for a couple of different posts because my degree/experience are quite broad. The MolGen said they weren't sure I was certain enough I wanted to do it, but that they are looking to introduce a more flexible scheme in 2011 where you rotate through different disciplines.

Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone else was interested in applying again xxx

ReputationRep:
    I took NoAngel's advice and emailed the labs i hadn't heard from and the two that emailed me back saying I hadnt been shortlisted were both MolGen labs and they said that there had been an unprecedented demand for places this year!
    The Cytogenetics lab also got back to me this morning and said they won't be shortlisting till at least early May

ReputationRep:
    I took NoAngel's advice and emailed the labs i hadn't heard from and the two that emailed me back saying I hadnt been shortlisted were both MolGen labs and they said that there had been an unprecedented demand for places this year!
    The Cytogenetics lab also got back to me this morning and said they won't be shortlisting till at least early May
    Cytogenetics at GOSH right? Early May! Oh no, that's ages aways. At least there's still a chance though
    Anyone else heard back from any other cytogenetics labs yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, cytogenetics at GOSH!did you apply there as well?
    Really really want to get interview there!!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, cytogenetics at GOSH!did you apply there as well?
    Really really want to get interview there!!
    Yep! It's my top choice too. There are two places available at GOSH so lets keep our fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Thought I'd update you all on my situation. I've been allowed to submit some applications in place of the ones that never made it and were too late. Most places have already shortlisted and so i'm too late anyway, but at least one other Audiology department have now received my form and are hopefully considering it. Most of the places are much further from home then I'd have inititally liked, but I really want to do this so just giving it my best shot under the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexaFluor)
    Yep! It's my top choice too. There are two places available at GOSH so lets keep our fingers crossed.
    Wouldnt it be some coincidence if we both got places??!
    Im getting ahead of myself here!
    Whats your degree in?

ReputationRep:
    thats good news noangel....but still its not great. I hope you get interviews!

ReputationRep:
    For those who applied for microbiology in london - they've only just got the applications so it will take them at least 2 weeks to go through all of them... so we have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitachi2000)
    For those who applied for microbiology in london - they've only just got the applications so it will take them at least 2 weeks to go through all of them... so we have to wait.
    Thanks for posting this info, I had previously emailed them but hadn't heard anything back, this can put my mind at ease........for a little while at least

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for mol.gen and cytogenetics at Birmingham, Nottingham and immunology at Leicester. My application form wasn't the best though, I think I need more time and practice to fill them in, It's the first main job I've really applied for and I'm still at uni so I think I may need to get some work experience, pad out my CV a bit and try again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.