Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevereatyellowsnow)
    I've applied for mol.gen and cytogenetics at Birmingham, Nottingham and immunology at Leicester. My application form wasn't the best though, I think I need more time and practice to fill them in, It's the first main job I've really applied for and I'm still at uni so I think I may need to get some work experience, pad out my CV a bit and try again.
    so what is it that you study?
    I think you picked some of the most competitive posts there, especially cytogenetics and immunology might be hard to get in. I guess some extra lab experience would help. What kind of experience in the lab do you have anyway?
    If you have troubles filling job applications maybe you could talk to career adviser at your uni?

ReputationRep:
    I study Human Biology but I have picked mostly genetics modules and my final year project is genetics based. I have no experience in the lab. (All those will probally lead to my downfall in these applications esp if they are as competitive as you say.) However it's all something I can work on in the future, more experience, perhaps a masters when I can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed the 2 hospitals that I applied for, hopefully they will get back to me soon to confirm they actually received my application. I am a bit anxious now after NoAngels problems. I just assumed that my applications were unsuccessful, but perhaps they werent even received!!! I'll let you know when I hear back.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought for those of you who are applying for the micro posts in London I applied last year and the interviews were in August and I didn't hear until June/July so don't give up hope if you are still waiting. Didn't get it though

ReputationRep:
    This is for anyone that applied for Audiology at Sheffield. I've emailed few times to ask various things and last time I checked they said they were still shortlisting. Has anybody heard anything from them yet? And if not would anybody mind emailing to ask? I feel bad asking them more questions!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoAngel)
    This is for anyone that applied for Audiology at Sheffield. I've emailed few times to ask various things and last time I checked they said they were still shortlisting. Has anybody heard anything from them yet? And if not would anybody mind emailing to ask? I feel bad asking them more questions!!
    I havent applied to Sheffield. I applied to all the Wales ones and Manchester.
    I am in the middle of filling out the applications to the Masters. How does the application to Manchester Uni work in terms of the refrences? Do you have to send them or do they get sent speratley? im finding applying to the unis more of a pain than to the jobs! I still cant belive one doing Audiology gets paid £24K to study full time!
    Hope you hear some good news soon NoAngel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo1980)
    I havent applied to Sheffield. I applied to all the Wales ones and Manchester.
    I am in the middle of filling out the applications to the Masters. How does the application to Manchester Uni work in terms of the refrences? Do you have to send them or do they get sent speratley? im finding applying to the unis more of a pain than to the jobs! I still cant belive one doing Audiology gets paid £24K to study full time!
    Hope you hear some good news soon NoAngel!
    God luck for the masters. Are you filling out the online application form? You can either attach your references as word documents to thelast page of the form, or, as my refrees did, ask them to send thm separately. They did this because they said it looks more professional and then the Uni know I can't have changed them myself at all.

And thanks for the good luck. I've just been invited for an interview!

Also, Sambo, Mancheste have already shortlisted their interviews are next friday. Wrexham interviewed last week as did Glan Clwyd. Swansea said they've already shortlisted too but not sure when they are interviewing. This may be bad news if people have applied to these places and not heard, but thought you might want to know anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard from Portsmouth yet for Audiology? Does anyone know if they've shortlisted/interviewed?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations NoAngel! Hope the interview goes great. When is it anyway?

fredd, you said you didn't get the job in london, did they tell you why? and did you apply this year again?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Hitachi2000,
    they basically said that the calibre of the people was pretty amazing. They were really lovely though so if you do get to interview don't worry about it. I think the London posts are the most competitive so if you have applied to others then they should be easier. From talking to them it seemed that it didn't matter much about having a PhD etc. Yes I am going for it again so I am hoping I will be luckier this time!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Hitachi, my interview is next Friday. Very nervous but really pleased to have been offered it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredd)
    Hi Hitachi2000,
    they basically said that the calibre of the people was pretty amazing. They were really lovely though so if you do get to interview don't worry about it. I think the London posts are the most competitive so if you have applied to others then they should be easier. From talking to them it seemed that it didn't matter much about having a PhD etc. Yes I am going for it again so I am hoping I will be luckier this time!
    Hi Fredd

Have you done anything in the last year to improve your chances this time around? I am just wondering what I can do to improve my chances next time....if I don't make it this time that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flexin)
    Hi Fredd

Have you done anything in the last year to improve your chances this time around? I am just wondering what I can do to improve my chances next time....if I don't make it this time that is
    To be honest not too much, I have done some temp work in a related field so I am hoping that may help

ReputationRep:
    So many people have applied for audiology on this forum, I'm glad that isn't my field. Where are all the haematologists?

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,
    I had been following this thread since while. Is there anyone who has applied for medical physics or technologist position? I did get a confirmation on my application but haven't heard anything since then

ReputationRep:
    Manchester got back for me about Embryology they said they are shortlisting at the moment, and I will hear in the next 3-4 weeks if I get an interview. Its a pretty bad time for me though since i'll have exams

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Biochem in Scotland today. I'm a bit nervous as I don't know what to expect.

I never heard anything from Cambridge or West Midlands, so I'm assuming I haven't got an interview . I'm tempted to email them and ask for feedback as to why I wasn't shortlisted - might be useful for my interviews.

Still, I got 3 interviews out of 5 so I can't complain.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck jessthecat, I hope it goes well.

How did you manage to apply for 5? Thought we could only put 4 on the application form. Let us know know the interview goes.

ReputationRep:
    Londonrulz: I applied for medical physics, I heard back from the four I applied to a while ago, although I don't know if that's true for everywhere. A few centres have held interviews already.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding audiology,

I applied to Sheffield, so I don't mind emailing them to ask. I'll let you all know what they say. I also applied to Portsmouth and haven't heard from them, so maybe i'll send one of that way as well.

I had my interview in Cambridge the other day. It wasn't as bad as I imagined, in fact it felt almost too easy. I keep feeling like there must have been something i missed. I know a few questions where i should have said more, but it was all over so quickly. On the upside they were really lovely, but on the downside I'm not sure i blew my own horn as much as I could have. I know it's practise for my other interviews, but this was the one i really wanted. I'm quite annoyed it had to be my first.

On the MSc side, i have an interview at Manchester at the start of may, and an offer from Southampton (no interview). Haven't heard anything from UCL which is my top choice, has anyone else? I don't want to live in London forever, but i wouldn't mind spending a year there just to see what all the fuss and ho-ha is about.

Better get on, Hope you all do well!

Anna

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.