Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anna, well done on the interview. When do you find out?

The MSc interview is quite short and not too hard, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for offering to ask with Sheffield. I've been invited for 3 interviews, got two more this morning. Quite shocked really after the mix up with my applications. Still, Sheffield is my top choice though so I hope I've got a chane with them still.

ReputationRep:
    Should find out within the next two weeks. Not expecting them to let me know before easter anyway. Emailed sheffield and portsmouth. Also emailed UCL, but they sent me an automated reply saying they were shut until after easter. Grr.

I was wondering why some of the posts specify where they want you to do the MSc. I wonder why it matters to them. Do you know?

Impressed you've got three interviews. I've only got two so far. Hoping for more, but no expectations.

ReputationRep:
    When I visited some of the places they said they have preferences for the MSc. Wrexham preferred Manchester and Sheffield specifically said the don't like UCL because it's such a new course. They do say in the handbook if they have specific requirements though. Hope we hear back from Sheffield soon, but I think my chances with them are small. Good luck hearing back from everybody. Where and when is your other interview?

ReputationRep:
    I see. Seems a silly reason not to like it just because it's new, but i can see their point.

My next interview is in Reading on the 22nd. It's a whole day affair including a 10 minute presentation, and group discussions. At least a little more time to play with, in showing them what you've got.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield replied. They are "in the process of shortlisting", so I guess we just have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    ooh, thats at least positive that we're still in with a chance thanks so much for asking.

ReputationRep:
    very well done NoAngel!
    I have yet another question regarding the application for the MSc. In the funding part of the application? is it NHS clinical scientist?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, put NHS clinical scientist as that's your intention. They actually have 10 places which are funded by the University and you will go onto a waiting list to get one if unsuccessful for a clinical scientist post. However the training is different and you're not a clinical scientist at the end. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    NoAngel - I applied for 5 but 1 was in Scotland. The Scottish labs advertise themselves (in New Scientist) and you just apply directly to them - much easier than Northgate.

My interview went okay - some good bits, some not so good. I learnt a lot for my other interviews.

I wrote to Cambridge and the West Midlands to ask for feedback on why my application was unsuccessful. The West Midlands did not reply, but Cambridge wrote back and invited me for interview! I thought they'd shortlisted last week so I was quite surprised! Maybe I was on the reserve list and I made myself look keen by contacting them. Or maybe it was just a coincidence that I wrote on the same day they decided to interview me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessthecat)
    NoAngel - I applied for 5 but 1 was in Scotland. The Scottish labs advertise themselves (in New Scientist) and you just apply directly to them - much easier than Northgate.

My interview went okay - some good bits, some not so good. I learnt a lot for my other interviews.

I wrote to Cambridge and the West Midlands to ask for feedback on why my application was unsuccessful. The West Midlands did not reply, but Cambridge wrote back and invited me for interview! I thought they'd shortlisted last week so I was quite surprised! Maybe I was on the reserve list and I made myself look keen by contacting them. Or maybe it was just a coincidence that I wrote on the same day they decided to interview me.
    That's fantastic news! Well done on an extra interview Hope everybodys interviews are going well.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of stuff gets asked in the interviews? Ive never had an interview for job before so I don't really have any idea as to what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    congratulations for the success!!. May i know which places did you apply for medical physics. Which hospital did you choose. cos i havent heard anything yet... may be i will request the status of my application in a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for London North consortium (Royal Free) Kings College, Oxford/Reading and Cambridge. You can always email to find out the status of your applications at each hospital. That is what I did.

ReputationRep:
    Questions I was asked included:

Why do you want to leave research and do Clinical Biochemistry?
    Do I know what the milestones are in a Clinical Biochemistry career?
    Where do I see myself in 10 years?
    Name 2 of my personal qualities which would be useful for this career.
    Why should they give me the job?
    What had changed in the 10 years since I last worked in a Clinical Biochem lab?
    Did I know about the process of Modernising Scientific Careers within the NHS (I didn't).

They also showed me a picture of a small compound (paracetamol - which I didn't recognise) and asked me about how to detect it, separate it from other chemicals in the blood etc. I didn't do too well on this. Managed to mumble something about HPLC, but not very confidently.

They also seemed disappointed that I hadn't visited their labs. And they asked me outright if I would immediately accept the job if I was offered it. I had to honest and say that I would prefer to wait until after my interviews in England.

I haven't heard anything back so presumably I haven't got it. Maybe because it looked like I was keener on the England positions (although its actually my joint first choice with the North West). Also I messed up on a few things.

Also I tried to come across confident and positive, but I hope I didn't seem in any way arrogant.

Oh well, all good experience for my other interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Also I didn't have any good questions to ask at the end as they had pretty much answered everything for me! I'll try and come up with some for my other interviews.

ReputationRep:
    hey jessthecat, good luck with that interview and your others and thanks for the questions, I'm sure they'll be very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got invited for microbiology interviews yet? I'm getting really impatient, especially after hearing that most of the other courses have already held their interviews. I know London might take forever to shortlist but maybe the other labs will be faster.
    Btw. fredd, do you remember any of the questions they asked you in London last year?

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the Micro' posts in Manchester and Bristol and still not heard anything as yet. It is quite frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard from Sheffield yet? I'm starting to think i can't have been shortlisted as their interview date is only a week away. Surely they can't possibly expect people to sort everything out in less than a week? I am still hoping, but on the other hand, if i do get an interview travel will be massively expensive and i'll have a train ticket for somewhere else that I'll no longer be able to use. Ie i'll need two new train tickets on less than a weeks notice. grr. but that probably won't happen. I don't know what i'm more annoyed by....

Also haven't heard from Portsmouth. They didn't even reply to my enquiry email. grr again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anna- No I haven't heard from Sheffield either. It's my first choice as it's the only post where I'll be able to stay at home (have my own house so would obv make things easier!). They said a few weeks ago that they were interviewing on the 21st, so either this has changed, or we just haven't been shortlisted. Howver, it was only weds or thurs when you emailed them asking, and they said they were still in the process. As it's been a bank holiday almost entirely since then, maybe they're sorting it this week?

I think I'll actually call them tomorrow.I have an interview in Swansea on the same day and would rather Sheffield if possible (a 45 min journey compared with 5.5hours to Swansea!) so need to know asap! Will let you know what they say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.