Turn on thread page Beta

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura130490)
    Well I didn't mention my degree modules much in the essay questions because I presumed they would know what a biomed degree is composed of. Wish I could go back and change my answers now
    I don't think talking abotu yhour degree modules is very importqant at all, as longas you put through your desire to continue studying/working in science etc.

I didn't put down any of my degree modules, but i'm applying for genetics, and i'm doign a BSc in geentics, so I figured they could work out i'm studying ltos of genetics modules?
    I mainly talked about my lab experience what i've done and how it has influenced me, also talked about my volunteering at a hospital and extra cirrucular activities etc.... Hope it was enough!

BTW, been combing through the past messages, but can't seem to see anyone else applying for genetics... (apart from the person above me...) hope that means its one of the less popular choices!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    I don't think talking abotu yhour degree modules is very importqant at all, as longas you put through your desire to continue studying/working in science etc.

I didn't put down any of my degree modules, but i'm applying for genetics, and i'm doign a BSc in geentics, so I figured they could work out i'm studying ltos of genetics modules?
    I mainly talked about my lab experience what i've done and how it has influenced me, also talked about my volunteering at a hospital and extra cirrucular activities etc.... Hope it was enough!

BTW, been combing through the past messages, but can't seem to see anyone else applying for genetics... (apart from the person above me...) hope that means its one of the less popular choices!
    Yeah I didn't really put anything about my modules in the essay answers. I put the same stuff down as you really, talked about my lab experience a lot, my volunteering, awards, other relevant work experience etc. I tried to show all the skills and knowledge I had, my passion for the scheme and science/healthcare in general, that I knew a lot about the role of a clinical scientist and why I wanted to be one. I just hope it's enough!

ReputationRep:
    me too, REALLY REALLY don't want to go into accounting, STP sounds WAY more interesting and motivating! Just not sure of my chances what with a load of applicants with PhD's and MSc's...

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, did anyone try to incorporate last year's scores checklist into their answers? I did as much as possible but not sure if it was necessary. lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've made it through to assessment centre for the NHS graduate management scheme, but I'd much much rather do this. I didn't know anything about last year's scores, have you got a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    Well of course i'm applying for genetics! I'm currently studying genetics at uni
    Furthermore, my final project is all to do with genetics (in bacteria), thank god for my project though! Was a gold mine for the essay questions! I remember reading somewhere that knowing how to do PCR;s and FISH helps (although not required) so I made sure to mention that i've learnt those techniques!

The questions weren't particularly difficult at all... Maths were just general maths questions weren't they, no real knowledge needed.... at least in comparison to my uni's "statistical test for research projects" that was a difficult math test involving calculus and stupid chi squared test and t test etc.... Also i've been doing loads and loads of these types of test for accounting and investment banking (don't particularly want to do those, but i'd still rather finish uni with a job than without!), and those test are much more difficult than this one. So maybe its a combination of practice and good general math abilities that I found it easy?

If anyone still has to take the test, i'd highly reccomend going onto the shl site and doign some of those test to practice
    did you complete all the questions or only did most? also was time limit did people get for the abstact questions?

ReputationRep:
    The link is somewhere in this mammoth of a thread. Somewhere in the beginning - relatively speaking. It was a pdf file with info about how each part of your personal statement scored against a checklist. From 1 to 3 points. For example, mention of use of spreadsheets or how much you coped under pressure and how you reflected on them. Specific examples. I used it as much as I could just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! I didn't see that. I'll have a look for it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryredlips)
    did you complete all the questions or only did most? also was time limit did people get for the abstact questions?
    I completed all the math questions with 2 mins to spare, 20 questions and they gave 20 mins

logical reasoning, they give 12 mins for 24 questions, i wasn't too sure about 5 of the questions and picked the most likely one

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! I didn't see that. I'll have a look for it now.
    post the link here again if you find it! i'd love to have a look at it... too lazy to rummage through the post though!

Not sure if i've said many of those things though... seriously get points for mentioning that you can use a spreadsheet?! I thought that was jsut basic skills everyone should just be able to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    I completed all the math questions with 2 mins to spare, 20 questions and they gave 20 mins

logical reasoning, they give 12 mins for 24 questions, i wasn't too sure about 5 of the questions and picked the most likely one
    Thanks. wow! you are good! welldone. Did you use the calculatoron all questions or as it the type where you jaut look and work it out...like averages and that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    post the link here again if you find it! i'd love to have a look at it... too lazy to rummage through the post though!

Not sure if i've said many of those things though... seriously get points for mentioning that you can use a spreadsheet?! I thought that was jsut basic skills everyone should just be able to do!
    I couldn't find it on the thread, so googled it and here it is

As the recruitment process has changed this year though a lot of it might not be relevant, and also a lot of the things on the checklist are assessed by interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryredlips)
    Thanks. wow! you are good! welldone. Did you use the calculatoron all questions or as it the type where you jaut look and work it out...like averages and that?
    hmm well simple maths questions i did without calculator and there were a few questions where no calculation was really needed- if you analysed the question carefully, so I just deduced what the answer was

As the recruitment process has changed this year though a lot of it might not be relevant, and also a lot of the things on the checklist are assessed by interview.
    thanks for posting the link! I didn't mention some of those things.... but I did mention that I;ve analysed DNA sequencing, which does require the use of several programs, so hopefully that covers it?...

ReputationRep:

Yes, that's what I meant! Couldn't find it.
    Well, I tried just in case to incorporate as many keywords as I could, (even "spreadsheets" without sounding silly LOL). I think I included most in the passion for science section as I was talking about my lab work.

Oh well... too late for me to sweat about what I wrote now. lol

ReputationRep:
    Hey just got the email saying we will aim to start contacting candidates in April etc etc, so i think im through... Just want to say that i think this test was a bit harsh and unfair, i work in biochemistry and deal with complex reports on a day to day basis and interpreting them is much easier than that numeracy test i just sat through!

Does anyone know if they will look at test scores to determine who will be invited to an interview or are the tests just a way to reduce numbers?

Thankssss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Japryan)
    For those of us who didn't apply last year, what is 'last year's score checklist'?

Ta
    I didn't apply last year, but it pretty much answers itself doesn't it? last years score check list, i.e a check list where you're given a score per skill etc. that you have....

ReputationRep:
    My first language is English, but thank you anyway Freyr. Since you are so well informed, perhaps you could share with us more details, i.e. when the score check list was filled in, when it was given to the candidate, what information it contained etc.
    I didn't say I knew everything, i merely answered your question as to what it was but:

what do you mean when it was filled in? its a check list, doesn't need to be filled in...
    when it was given to the candidates? likely wasn't really given but was just avaliable
    What information it contained? See the post 7 above this one.... It also has a date on it, Jan 1 2011

ReputationRep:
    For those of us who didn't apply last year, what is 'last year's score checklist'?

Ta
    I think you mean the checklist used in the interviews???

Last year at each section of the interview the candidate was scored out of 5. The highest candidates were then chosen, with the highest scoring being able to choose their preferred location. If any candidate scored 2 or less they were automatically unsuccessful. The lowest scoring candidates were then put on a reserve list.
    The checklists were not made available to candidates before or after interview nor did they find out what their score was.

Hope this answers your question.

ReputationRep:
    Hello All!

So, I prepped for the online tests, feeling confident (ish) and did the practice tests that come up when you first proceed in to the real tests. Low and behold this message comes up:

'You have already attempted to start the test and can not start again. If you feel this is a technical error, please click here to contact our technical team.'

:eek: I've sent them a technical query thingy, but does anyone know a number I can ring tomorrow, seen as though the online tests close tomorrow! If not hope you all do well he he. I feel extremely sorry for my boyfriend who has been practicing questions with me all night I hate technology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KL2012)
    Hello All!

So, I prepped for the online tests, feeling confident (ish) and did the practice tests that come up when you first proceed in to the real tests. Low and behold this message comes up:

'You have already attempted to start the test and can not start again. If you feel this is a technical error, please click here to contact our technical team.'

:eek: I've sent them a technical query thingy, but does anyone know a number I can ring tomorrow, seen as though the online tests close tomorrow! If not hope you all do well he he. I feel extremely sorry for my boyfriend who has been practicing questions with me all night I hate technology!
    That's awful! I hope it gets resolved soon!
    Ok, now I'm worried. Up until a few hours ago when I last checked I could at least log into the page with the "proceed" button. I didn't click it yet. Did it happen before or after clicking that button? (Also I haven't seen any practice tests yet.)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.